What, you expected celebs to stay silent about last night’s big win for President-Elect Barack Obama? No such luck, my friends. Everyone from Oprah Winfrey to Diddy to Jessica Alba had something to say about 2008′s historic election. Read ‘em all in our round up below.
- Oprah Winfrey, one of Obama’s biggest celebrity supporters, couldn’t keep her excitement hidden. “I’m vibrating,” she gushed to Us magazine. Might be a little TMI, Oprah! She also told the BBC, “It feels like hope won. It feels like there’s a shift in consciousness. It feels like something really big and bold has happened here, like nothing ever in our lifetimes did we expect this to happen.”
- Usher: “It’s so incredible to see that this historical thing has happened, man…The public service that went into this and the encouragement that came out of it, it’s just incredible to see it happen.”
- Lindsay Lohan, on her Myspace blog, of course: “OBAMA IS OUR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone that voted, no matter their choice…should be proud for voting in the first place ”
- Diddy takes responsibility for Obama’s win: “I felt like my vote was the vote that put him into office. … And that may not be true but that’s how much power it felt like I had.”
- The always astute and reflective Jessica Alba: “I was surprised that McCain brought race into his speech. I guess he was trying to bring people together.”
- A cute message from Kanye West to his deceased mom: “HI MOM, OBAMA WON!”
- Pete Wentz shouts out new Vice President Joe Biden, “I would not be standing here actually in reality, at all, because my parents met working for [vice president elect] Biden. They met on a campaign so they have this particular affection for Joe – he came to their wedding. If it weren’t for Joe Biden, I would not exist as a human being.”
- Spike Lee: “I think that’s a lot to do with young white Americans – they don’t have the same views as their parents.”
- George Clooney: “I congratulate President-elect Obama on his historic victory, and now it’s time to begin unifying the country so we can take on the extraordinary challenges that this generation faces.”
Browse through photos of celebs casting their vote yesterday.