No, sadly he wasn’t at the MTV Europe Music Awards cozying up with Grace Jones and Estelle. But President-elect Barack Obama proved to be the real star of the evening’s proceedings, featuring in a huge number of tributes …
- At the beginning of the show Jared Leto got the crowd chanting in a “Congrats Barack” shout-out. (“Maybe Europe will love us again now,” quipped Katy Perry.)
- Katy Perry‘s least-mad costume choice of the evening was a glittery yellow Barack shift dress. We’ll all be wearing them next season!
- Estelle and Kanye West ended their less-than-exciting “American Boy” duet with a giant projection of the man himself on the video screens. It got the biggest cheer of their entire performance, natch.
- Paul McCartney also namechecked Mr. Obama in his self-depracating acceptance speech.
- And Solange Knowles tried to get in on the action by bigging up Obama while wearing a puffy striped top and glittery skirt. Yet she still managed to have the personality of a wet towel. Never mind.
— By Beck Howard (in London)