Adele, Duffy, Lady Antebellum, the Jonas Brothers and Jazmine Sullivan are all nominated for the Best New Artist Grammy this year. On Sunday we’ll find out which act will join The Pretenders, The Eagles and The Indigo Girls in that hallowed group of artists that went on to acclaimed, long-lasting careers. Oh, wait—those three didn’t win. In fact, they respectively lost to Christopher Cross, America and Milli Vanilli. And while Milli Vanilli was stripped of their trophy later, that was only because they were lip-syncing frauds. Here are five previous nominees whose careers have far outshone those of the artists that beat them. Too bad there are no take-backs.
- Elvis Costello (lost to A Taste Of Honey in 1979)
- Erykah Badu (lost to Paula Cole in 1998)
- Boyz II Men (lost to Marc Cohn in 1992)
- No Doubt (lost to LeAnn Rimes in 1997)
- Shania Twain (lost to Hootie & The Blowfish in 1996)