We’re about to get all Oprah on you! TheFABLife is starting an online book club and twitter sweepstakes and we want you to join in. We’ll be kicking off on Monday, May 23rd with The Hunger Games, right as the movie version of the book goes into production. Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and Woody Harrelson are starring in the film, which shoots in North Carolina. Over eight weeks we’ll recap the eight biggest moments from the book with a new discussion post each week. Participate on Twitter by following us at @thefablife and using the hashtag #vh1reads. Every person who does so will be eligible to win either the Grand Prize (a hardcover copy of The Hunger Games signed by author Suzanne Collins, plus a box set of the trilogy) or the First Prize (a box set of the trilogy).
For those of you already on Team Katniss — we’ll be reading the book for the second time, so there’s really no excuse for you not to join us. Don’t you want to relive Peeta’s sweetness all over again? Yeah, we thought so. We’ll meet you all back here in one week with our kick off post and first “reading assignment!” Down with the Capital—up with reading!
Talk to us at @thefablife on Twitter. Don’t be shy. The official rules are listed below.
1. SWEEPSTAKES: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. “The FABlife’s Book-to-Movie Club Tweetstakes” on Twitter (the “Sweepstakes”) is sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. on behalf of TheFABlife.com (“MTVN” or “Sponsor”). The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes is subject to the eligibility guidelines below.
2. ENTRY PERIOD: The Sweepstakes commences at 12:00:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) on May 23, 2011 and ends at 12:00:00 PM (EDT) on July 18, 2011 (the “Sweepstakes Period”). All entries must be received by 12:00:00 PM (EDT) on July 18, 2011.
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Sweepstakes is open to individuals who are: (i) legal residents of one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or District of Columbia, (ii) are at least thirteen (13) years of age or older at the time of entry and (iii) have a www.twitter.com account to enter. Entrants who have not yet reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside must obtain parental/legal guardian consent in order to enter Sweepstakes. Employees and their immediate families (i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents, step children and step siblings) as well as any individual (whether related or not) living in the same household as any employee of Sponsor, Viacom International Inc., Twitter Inc. (“Twitter”) and each of their respective affiliated companies, sponsors, subsidiaries, advertising agencies and third party fulfillment agencies (collectively, the “Sweepstakes Entities”) are not eligible to enter this Sweepstakes. By participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by the Sponsor, and by the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes; (b) release and hold harmless Sweepstakes Entities and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns, against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Sweepstakes and/or use or misuse or redemption of a Prize; and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
4. TO ENTER: During the Sweepstakes Period, go to http://www.twitter.com/#!/thefablife and from your Twitter account follow the @thefablife account and tweet: (i) a comment about “The Hunger Games”; (ii) the #VH1Reads hashtag and (iii) the url to the Official Rules: http://www.thefablife.com/?p=187221 (collectively, the “Tweet”) For example, (Love how Katniss protects Rue like a big sister. #VH1Reads Official Rules: http://www.thefablife.com/?p=187221). All three (3) elements of the Tweet must be present to be considered an Eligible Entry (as hereinafter defined). A Tweet that does not contain a book title, the hashtag and/or url to the Official Rules will be disqualified. (Note: You will need to create a Twitter account if you don’t already have one. Membership on Twitter registration is free.) BY TWEETING THE VH1-SPECIFIED HASHTAG AND OFFICIAL RULES URL YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. Please note that if you do not respond to the Prize Winner notification described in Section 5, you will be disqualified and another Prize Winner will be selected. Limit one (1) Tweet per Twitter account per day allowed. Retweets of the same Tweet by the same Twitter account holder, automated tweets or tweets sent via a bot will be disqualified. For the avoidance of doubt, users may continue to send tweets to the @thefablife account; however, entrants will be limited to only one (1) Tweet per Twitter account per day for consideration into the Sweepstakes. All entries submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be hereinafter referred to as “Eligible Entries” or each an “Eligible Entry”. Each Eligible Entry will count as one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning online entry, the authorized subscriber of the Twitter account used to participate in the Sweepstakes at the actual time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant. The authorized account subscriber is defined as the natural person who is assigned a Twitter account by Twitter. An entrant may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the Twitter account associated with her/her entry. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
All entries must comply with the Twitter Terms of Service and Twitter Rules available at the Twitter Web Site. Creating multiple Twitter Accounts in order to exceed the limits of entries permitted by these Official Rules may result in the disqualification of all entries from such accounts. Important note: If your Twitter account is set to “protected mode,” your updates/responses may not be visible in Sponsor’s TheFABLife inbox and may not thus be received by Sponsor unless you previously consented to permit Sponsor to see the your Twitter updates. If you opt to use Twitter via your wireless mobile device (which may only be available via participating wireless carriers and is not required to enter the Sweepstakes), standard text messaging and/or data rates may apply for each message sent or received from your handset according to the terms and conditions of your service agreement with your wireless carrier. Other charges may apply (such as normal airtime and carrier charges) and may appear on your mobile phone bill or be deducted from your prepaid account balance. Wireless carriers’ rate plans may vary, and you should contact your wireless carrier for more information on messaging rate plans and charges relating to your participation in this Sweepstakes. Participation in this Sweepstakes by mobile device means that you understand that you may receive additional messages by mobile device relating to this Sweepstakes, including notifying you if you are a Prize Winner, which may be subject to charges pursuant to your carrier’s rate plan. Text messaging may not be available from all mobile phone service carriers and handset models. Mobile device service may not be available in all areas. Check your phone’s capabilities for specific instructions.
5. PRIZE WINNER SELECTION/NOTIFICATION: One (1) grand prize winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) and one (1) first place prize winner (the “First Place Prize Winner” and together with the Grand Prize Winner, each a “Prize Winner”) will be randomly selected on or around July 19, 2011 by Sponsor from the Eligible Entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. Sponsor will make up to two (2) attempts over a forty-eight (48) hour period following Prize Winner selection to contact each potential Prize Winner via direct message to such Prize Winner’s Twitter account. If any potential Prize Winner does not respond within forty-eight (48) hours of being contacted, any such potential Prize Winner will be disqualified and an alternate Prize Winner will be selected from among the remaining applicable Eligible Entries received. This process will be repeated until the potential Prize Winner responds. Sponsor expressly reserves the right to delay the announcement of any Prize Winner for creative or technical reasons or for any other reason beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control.
6. PRIZE WINNER VERIFICATION: Each potential Prize Winner must prove eligibility, including, without limitation, proof of age and residence within three (3) days of being notified as a potential Prize Winner. In the event of non-compliance by any potential Prize Winner, such potential Prize Winner shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due as a Prize Winner shall be terminated and an alternative potential Prize Winner will be chosen from among all of the remaining applicable Eligible Entries received. Each Prize Winner or Prize Winner’s parent or legal guardian if under the age of majority in the state in which they reside, must sign within three (3) days of receipt of the following documents from Sponsor: (a) an affidavit of eligibility and release of Sweepstakes Entities and its respective officers, directors, employees, agents and members (“Releasees”), from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Sweepstakes or the use/misuse or acceptance of the Prize or any portion thereof to be eligible for the Prize; and (b) except where prohibited by law, a promotional release granting Sweepstakes Entities the right to use Prize Winner’s name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation and (c) any other documentation required by Sponsor (or third party on its behalf, if applicable), which may include, without limitation, a W9 form and/or any other required tax related documentation (collectively, the “Documentation”). Entry into this Sweepstakes constitutes agreement to sign such Documentation. In addition, each Prize Winner also must acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide insurance of any kind relating to the Prize and each Prize Winner will be responsible for obtaining and paying for any life, travel, accident, property or other form of insurance relating to the Prize. Prize Winner must review, complete, sign and return all Documentation as instructed within the time frame specified by Sponsor or Prize Winner may forfeit his/her Prize at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Failure to return all Documentation and comply with said deadline, noncompliance with these Official Rules or the return of any Prize or prize notification will result in disqualification and selection of an alternate potential Prize Winner. All decisions of Sponsor relating to the Sweepstakes are final, binding and not open to appeal.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive the following grand prize (the “Grand Prize”):
• One (1) signed hardback copy of “The Hunger Games”. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $8.99
• One (1) copy of “The Hunger Games Trilogy” Boxset. ARV: $31.57
The First Place Prize Winner will receive the following first place prize (the “First Place Prize”):
• One (1) copy of “The Hunger Games Trilogy” Boxset. ARV: $31.57
The First Place Prize together with the Grand Prize may sometimes be referred to collectively as the “Prizes” or “Prize”. The total ARV for all Prizes awarded in this Sweepstakes is $72.13
Prize is subject to change based on current market conditions at time of prize fulfillment. Any difference between the stated ARV and the actual value, if any, will not be awarded. Sponsor reserves the right, without any prior notice and at any time, to replace any or all prizes with a prize or prizes of equal or greater value.
8. GENERAL PRIZE TERMS: Arrangements for fulfillment of the Prize will be made by Sponsor. All federal, state and local taxes (if any), and any other costs and expenses not specifically or expressly set forth in these Official Rules as paid for by Sponsor as part of the Prize, including, without limitation, any service or equipment to be used in connection with the Prize are solely each Prize Winner’s responsibility. The value of the Prize may be taxable to each Prize Winner (or if a minor, his/her parent and legal guardian), as income. Each Prize Winner or if a minor his/her parent and legal guardian, may need to supply Sponsor with his/her social security number for tax purposes. An IRS Form 1099 may be issued in the name of the Prize Winner or if a minor, in the name of his/her parent and legal guardian, for the actual value of the Prize received.
All entrants are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
Sponsor shall have no responsibility or obligation to any Prize Winner or potential Prize Winner who is unable or unavailable to accept or utilize a Prize as described herein. No substitution, transfer or cash equivalent of Prize or any portion thereof is permitted, except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value may be awarded.
9. GENERAL TERMS: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY PRIZE WINNER OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY PRIZE WINNER THAT WILL BRING SUCH PRIZE WINNER OR SWEEPSTAKES ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (IN SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH PRIZE WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A PRIZE WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A PRIZE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED. The Sweepstakes Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Sweepstakes or by any human or technological error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, inability to access the Website failure of any e-mail on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes. The Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for lost, late, scrambled, jumbled, destroyed, delayed, misdirected, mutilated, undeliverable, or stolen entries; for entries not received due to failed, delayed or interrupted connections or miscommunications, communications line failure or other delays, or errors of any kind in the transmission or receipt of entries; unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; or any typographical, printing, mechanical or other error in the printing of the Official Rules, administration of the Sweepstakes, or in the announcement of the Prize and/or Prize Winner. If the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, force majeure, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes (or any portion thereof). In such event, notice will be posted on the Website and a Prize Winner will be selected from among all Eligible Entries received, if any, up until and/or after (if applicable) the date on which the event that compromised the Sweepstakes occurred and/or the action taken by Sponsor. Any individual who attempts to interfere with the proper administration of this Sweepstakes will be disqualified from participation in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor is not responsible for technical difficulties, telephone or cell phone service disruptions or other equipment or service issues which might affect the ability of Sponsor to notify the Prize Winner.
No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online or text message entries are permitted and will result in disqualification of all such entries. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Sweepstakes; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person or to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Sweepstakes.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECTION.
Entrants agree not to defame or disparage Sponsor, its parent and affiliate companies.
Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in the Borough of Manhattan, City and State of New York; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred and in no event shall include attorneys’ fees associated with participation in the Sweepstakes; (c) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, “Special Damages”); and (d) entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased. New York law governs these Official Rules, the Sweepstakes and all aspects related thereto or arising there from. Each entrant waives any and all objections to jurisdiction and venue in these courts.
Each entrant, or if a minor, his/her parent and legal guardian, on behalf of himself/herself and his or her executors, heirs, personal representatives and assigns, agrees: (a) to release and hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities from any and all liability whatsoever resulting from or arising out of the Sweepstakes, including without limitation causes of action, injury, damage, liabilities, suits, cross-claims, counterclaims or any other claims arising out of or relating to (in whole or in part, directly or indirectly) participation in the Sweepstakes (including without limitation personal injuries and death and damage to, loss or destruction of property), WHETHER OR NOT ARISING FROM THE NEGLIGENCE OF A RELEASED PARTY, including, but not limited to, third party claims that may be made against an entrant, and claims arising out of or relating to acceptance, receipt, possession or use/misuse of any prize, or any publicity or other public exposure of an entrant, including without limitation, claims concerning infringement or based upon publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by entrant or a third party, while preparing for, participating in or traveling to and/or from any prize-related activity; (b) to assume all risks, express or implied, associated with all claims released above, including without limitation, all risks concerning entry into the Sweepstakes; (c) that said Sweepstakes Entities have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any Prize, including but not limited to, its quality or fitness or merchantability, and acknowledges that all prizes are provided to entrants on an “as is” basis; and (d) to the use of the entrant’s name and likeness/image for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes in any and all media (now known or hereafter discovered) without notice, review or approval, compensation or other consideration unless prohibited by law. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Sweepstakes materials (e.g., marketing, advertising or other ancillary documents) and these Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
10. REQUEST FOR NAME OF PRIZE WINNER(S) AND/OR OFFICIAL RULES: For the name of the Prize Winner(s) (after August 2, 2011 and/or Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope by July 26, 2011 to: “The FABlife’s Book-to-Movie Club Tweetstakes” on Twitter – Attn: Editor – TheFABlife.com – VH1.com – 1515 Broadway, 20th floor New York, NY 10036). Please note on the front left-hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “Official Rules” or the names of the “Prize Winner(s)”. Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules.
11. SPONSOR: Sweepstakes sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc., 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036. Twitter is not a sponsor of the Sweepstakes, and is in no way responsible for the administration of the Sweepstakes, the verification of winner or the fulfillment of the prize.