We’re back with an all new installment for Book Club. This week we are covering the first few days inside the Hunger Games arena (Chapters 14-16), and all the “holy s**t!” things that go down. Let the recap begin.
1. How Rue-d! Screw Peeta and Gale, the relationship we are most looking forward to watching come to life on the big screen is between Katniss and Rue. The tiny warrior breaks our heart at every turn, from her four-note song to the Mockingjays to her underdog status in the Games. This line in particular, kills us: “‘You have good sponsors,’ she says longingly. ” (Page 201)
2. The Bow Saves The Day. Katniss manages to wrangle the bow from Glimmer’s dead and swollen body while hallucinating from tracker jacker stings. She does so with good reason — she uses it to sabotage the Careers’ supplies stash (and to hunt, and restore her sense of self, etc). It even makes her excited to kill! “If Cato broke through the trees right now, I wouldn’t flee, I’d shoot. I find I’m actually anticipating the moment with pleasure.” (Page 197) Atta girl.
3. About Those Supplies… The destruction/explosion of the Careers’ pyramid of supplies is going to look so kick-ass on film. Same with the tracker jacker attack. Okay fine, everything is going to look amazing on the big screen. Just.can’t.wait.
4. Just Say No To Cato. Ugh, THIS GUY, amirite ladies? We are awaiting his death with bated breath. When he says, “When we find her [Katniss], I kill her in my own way, and no one interferes,” we just wanna be like, “Not so fast, doucheball. Who runs The Hunger Games? Anyone? Beyonce? That’s right: girls. Now prepare to die at our feminine hands.”
5. Peeta Is Killing Us With Kindness: “You’re hot and you’re cold, you’re yes and you’re no,” Peeta! Do you love or hate Katniss? Are you trying to see to it that her head gets chopped off or save her and make her your wife? When you saved Katniss’ life and told her to run away from the Career Clique, (Page 193) we were for reals like, “not this mindf**k again.” Quit leading us on, Peets! On second thought: please don’t stop. We love you.
We want to know your thoughts on this week’s Book Club installment! Hit us up on Twitter at @thefablife using the hashtag #Vh1reads (and chat with me: @katespencer). Everyone who follows @thefablife and tweets using our hashtag will be entered in our tweetstakes! May the odds be ever in your favor.