The NOH8 Campaign is a photographic silent protest created by celebrity photographer Adam Bouska and partner Jeff Parshley in direct response to the passage of Proposition 8. Photos feature subjects with duct tape over their mouths, symbolizing their voices being silenced by Prop 8 and similar legislation around the world, with “NOH8″ painted on one cheek in protest.
The images are widely used on various social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter to spread the message of equality.
But do these pictures spread the message of equality? Much like a tree in the forest, when someone who was on Survivor in 2002 puts duct tape on her mouth and stares sexily into a camera lens, does anybody hear it? Is it really a form of activism?
Although the intentions of NOH8 may be pure, it’s not like some bigot who thinks the Messiah will uproot all the world’s mighty Sequoias because some dudes kiss dudes will look at Dog The Bounty Hunter’s wife‘s Glamour Shot and go, “Actually, you know what? If Dog The Bounty Hunter’s wife supports equality…”
Any time someone speaks out in support of civil rights for his fellow brother or sister, it’s widely appreciated. But then there are times, like with basically all of the NOH8 photos, when people don’t need to do that. Thanks, guys on this list of 30 Moderately Famous People Whose Support Is Appreciated But Totally Unnecessary, but you can go home now! We’ll take it from here!
30. Mini Me
29. David Hasselhoff’s daughter, her boobs
27. She By Sheree
26. Some guy from The Real World: DC?
25. Brooke Hogan
24. Billie “Kiss The Rain” Myers
23. Fat guy from Borat
21. Dear Abby
20. Jewish kid from Glee
19. Awful chick from The Bachelor
18. Mya, lots of arms
17. Amber Rose
16. David Hasselhoff
15. Stephanie Tanner
14. Aaron Carter
13. White beatboxer from American Idol
12. Simon Van Kempen
11. Ashlee Simpson, intense top hat
10. Gay kid from Who’s The Boss? (Um, do you need a new shirt?)
9. Tara Reid ON THE PHONE! HOLD ON!
8. Mean lady from Survivor: Australia
7. Tom “The Berg” Bergeron
6. Taylor Dayne (WHERE U BEEN, TAYLOR DAYNE?)
5. Andy Dick
4. DOG The Bounty Hunter
3. Stephanie Pratt, Peacekeeper and Humanitarian
2. Lindsay Lohan
1. Bobby Zarin