E! News host Giuliana Rancic and husband Bill Rancic returned to the Today show this morning to deliver the difficult news that Giuliana is going to have a double mastectomy. Back in October 36-year-old announced on Today that she was diagnosed with cancer and at the time hoped to battle the disease with lumpectomies and radiation treatment. But as Bill explained, surgery had failed to remove the cancer from one of Giuliana’s breasts, and after consulting many experts, the couple decided that removing both breasts would give her the best chance of living a longer, healthier life.
“With the double mastectomy I have less than 1 percent chance of getting [the cancer] back,” she told host Ann Curry. “With the lumpectomy, radiation and medication, I could have seen 20 to 30 to 40 percent chance in my lifetime, and for me it just wasn’t worth it.” (Watch the interview after the jump.)
Giuliana also spoke to E! about why she was coming public about the operation: “First, I would like to take the stigma away. ‘Mastectomy’ the word seemed so scary to me at first. After doing research and seeing the advancements, the surgery has come a long way from 20 years ago. The results can be incredible,” she told her home network. “Second, I want to encourage everyone to be proactive with their health and get checked out.”
Rancic isn’t the first celebrity to publicly announce her operation, in the hopes of raising awareness. Wanda Sykes revealed in September that she’d had a double mastectomy earlier this year, and Christina Applegate underwent the procedure in 2008. Hoda Kotb and Olivia Newton-John have also used their stories to help other women with breast cancer.