The folks at Forbes certainly know what they’re doing. Usually, we turn to them for the big lists, like the Celebrity 100, the World’s Most Powerful Women or the Hip-Hop Cash Kings. But those take a lot of work, and sometimes, they just need something fast and easy (we’re just assuming here, ’cause you know, we’d never be so gratuitous about our lists). So, they do things like this week’s Hollywood’s Top-Earning On-Screen Couples, which is topped by Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, followed by Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson.
We’re very happy to see the Harry Potter and Twilight stars at the top of the list, natch. But it does feel a bit like the editors sat down and said, “What kind of list can we do that will feature the stars of Harry Potter and Twilight, and maybe also Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers?” They admit themselves that the whole thing is based on numbers from Box Office Mojo (the total earnings from movies with the stars as a couple from the last five years).
Still, here we are, looking at the list. So they’ve hooked us again! We’ll give you the full list below, but also we want to come up with some kind of challenge for the Forbes editors, just to make sure they stay on top of their game. Maybe the next feature should be something like America’s Highest-Grossing Puppet Shows or Top-Earning Subway Mariachi Groups. That‘ll take a little shoe leather.
1. Emma Watson and Rupert Grint ($4.2 billion)
2. Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson ($2.5 billion)
3. Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox ($1.5 billion, from two Transformers flicks)
4. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow ($1.2 billion, from two Iron Man movies)
5. Shia LaBeouf and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ($1.1 billion, Transformers: Dark of the Moon)
6. Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz ($1 billion, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides)
7. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom ($963 million, three Pirates movies)
8. Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst ($890 million, three Spidey movies)
9. Leonardo DiCaprio and Marion Cotillard ($825 million, Inception)
10. Sarah Jessica Parker and Chris Noth ($703 million, two Sex and the City movies)
[Photos: Getty Images]