There are so many reasons for Hunger Games fans to break out the goat cheese and fresh-baked bread today! First of all, tonight’s the premiere, and
your favorite professional fans VH1 News will be there, so tweet us your questions for Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and the rest @TheFablife or write them in the comments below. Also, there’s a brand-new clip on MTVNews.com today: Peeta Mellark’s (Hutcherson) momentous interview with Caesar Flickerman (Stanley Tucci). Unlike last week’s clip of Cinna and Katniss, this one’s quite faithful to the book. Those of us who have it memorized can appreciate the nuances of Josh’s performance. We studied it closely and decided Peeta could teach a course or two in public relations. Here’s how he won the audience over, in 10 faces or less.
1. Begin with a carefree smile. The Games are the farthest thing from your mind.
2. Be slick at first. When Caesar Flickerman asks, “Is there a special girl back home?” smile and deny, deny, deny.
3. Make it look like the host charmed you into letting down your guard, even if you were always planning on opening up.
4. As you “reluctantly” answer the question truthfully, swallowand shift your gaze to makes it look less rehearsed. “There is this one girl that I’ve had a crush on forever.”
5. Allow Caesar to give you a pep talk. The audience will realize you are open to the friendly advice of your elders.
6. Do not let Caesar’s borderline maniacal laugh affect your seriousness. Young love is nothing to chuckle at, even with all those white teeth staring at you.
7. Accept flattery with a smile, as Caesar suggests that you might be able to win the games and the girl.
8. Correct Caesar gently. Fragile Capitol citizens don’t take tragic news very well. “I don’t think winning’s going to help me at all.”
9. A dramatic pause and a deep sigh will give your big reveal maximum impact.
10. “Because she came here with me.” Bam! Katniss and the rest of your opponents can only sit back in awe of your masterful manipulation.
Tears and chills all around!
Don’t forget, send us your Q’s. We’ll have fashion reports, highlights from everyone else’s premiere coverage, and exclusive interviews of our own tonight and all week long!
[Photos: Lionsgate via MTV]