The fact that those Lana del Rey dating Axl Rose rumors are dying down, doesn’t mean that the Guns n’ Roses singer isn’t capable of generating news on his own. We always knew that the original members had major issues with each other but we didn’t know that it would escalate to this level. GNR are being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this weekend, but Axl has refused to take any part in the ceremony and doesn’t even want to be inducted in absentia.
Axl sent a long, strongly-worded letter to “The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N’ Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern” explaining his stance. For the record, Slash knows that matters between him and the singer are pretty much kaput, having said recently to Rolling Stone,”[Axl] hates my guts … It’s over a lot of different stuff; I don’t even know. There’s just no communication between us.” The full letter is published on TMZ but here are some excerpts. The “we” he keeps talking about is Axl’s camp.
• “Under the circumstances I feel we’ve been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N’ Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in “our” induction (that for the record are decisions I don’t agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things… no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn’t appear to be somewhere I’m actually wanted or respected.”
• “For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It’s their show not mine. That said, I won’t be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N’ Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.”
• “I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of “Guns N’ Roses.”
• “This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp’s perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I’m sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I’ll have to contend with the fallout) …”
• “So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn’t owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another’s, or in this case several others’, expense.”
• “In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I’d like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns’ induction … I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!”
See what we mean? It’s heavy duty!
[Photo: Getty Images]