Talk about an emotional roller coaster! Two trailers for Cosmopolis dropped last night, and they are intense. The clips coincided with the announcement that the film, directed by David Cronenberg, will premiere at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival next month, which is often the launching pad for the most buzzed about and acclaimed films of the year. (The Artist won the top prize at last year’s festival and went on to win Best Picture at the Oscars.) And of course we’re also really pumped about seeing Robert Pattinson walk around in a tux for a week, hopefully alongside his lovely girlfriend Kristen Stewart, who will also be in attendance for her film, On the Road.
We went through a whole bevy of emotions and reactions while watching the two trailers, so we whipped ‘em up in a little list for you to peruse. What did you feel watching while watching them? We await your thoughts in the comments and on Twitter.
1. Intrigued - Well, hey there, Sarah Gadon! In just a few seconds you’ve impressed us as Eric Packer’s sly, understated, yet firm wife, and we can’t wait to see more from you.
2. Impressed - The movie features an Oscar winner (Juliette Binoche) and two Oscar nominees (Samantha Morton and Paul Giamatti) , and Pattinson holds his own alongside them, giving us an Eric Packer that, while calculating, doesn’t feel cold.
3. Grossed out and loving it – The gratuitous use of dead rats. The gunshot through the hand. The imagery is vivid, dark, and reminiscent of a bad acid trip – and it gives us the best kind of cringes.
4. Terrified – OMG, the creepy guy from Lost is in this movie! The dead rats may make us squirm, but nothing gives us chills like the sound of Kevin Durand‘s gravely voice.
5. Turned on – “I smell sex all over you.” There is a lot of sex in this movie, and we are OK with that because we like shirtless men hovering in limos. But we’re also curious to see how the film uses sex to explore the decaying of society set against Packer’s own vices. Also: shirtless men in limos.