The folks at MI:6 haven’t made our love for James Bond easy for the past few years — first they totally scrambled our brains with Quantum of Solace (to be fair, I watched that on Ambien on a 12-hour flight), then they threatened to take him away from us permanently, due to all sorts of studio conflicts. But come November 9, we will at last see the return of Daniel Craig’s
penetrating stare and tormented, broad shoulders and perfect posture and superhuman skills and smooth voice 007 in Skyfall. The teaser trailer, which premiered today, doesn’t give away much more than we already know: The plot is something about M’s (Judi Dench) past coming back to haunt the agency, and Bond isn’t in a very happy place. The mood of this teaser is unsurprisingly somber (at times reminding us of the trailer for Craig’s other recent dark role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). But no amount of bleak interrogation rooms or fast-cut action sequences can suppress the unchangeable fact of Bond, James Bond: He is one sexy, sexy man. Here are 10 moments that prove as much:
1. The above image, which appears as Bond is playing a word-association game in front of a two-way mirror. “Agent,” the interrogator asks. “Provocateur,” he answers. And yum.
2. Here’s another shot of Craig’s perfectly sculpted silhouette, which could really double as an ad for this coat. We’ll take 10.
3. How does he manage to be so menacing in the middle of a what looks like parade?
4. The briefest glimpse of one Bond girl/nemesis, Severine (played by Berenice Marlohe). We previously heard she was an “enigmatic and glamourous” femme fatale. Did she blow out the windows of that high-rise apartment with the sheer force of her hate/desire for our hero?
5. Bond girl #2 Eve, played by Naomie Harris. We still don’t know if Eve is the agent that will eventually become Moneypenny, but we do know that shaving has never seemed more like foreplay.
6. For some reason, shooting guns really brings out Craig’s bone structure.
7. Of course, Bond can outrun cars. Why the hell not?
8. This is the only glimpse we have of bad guy Silva, played by Javier Bardem. It is more than enough to get us excited for their showdown.
9. Honestly, we have no idea what is going on here — is it an aquarium? will there be laser sharks? — but we are most curious to know why Bond has a scruff of beard here.
10. OK, there is admittedly nothing necessarily sexy about someone being choked under water. We would just like to remind you, however, that after this scene, we will undoubtedly get to see Daniel Craig completely soaked.
[Photos: Sony Pictures]