After seeing Paris Jackson and her brothers on a Jet Blue flight last Christmas, I’ve felt like I was in on a secret: Michael Jackson’s children have an enormous capacity to act like regular kids. I mean, she’s a “regular kid” with extraordinarily mesmerizing blue eyes, a tragic past and a lead role in an upcoming movie, but you get my drift. If you watched her interview on last night’s Oprah’s Next Chapter you might agree with me. Or disagree, because the 14-year-old also showed us that she’s incredibly strong and self-aware for her age. Anyway, here are some great, super-normal things we learned about Paris:
- “People have tried [to bully me] but it doesn’t always work,” Paris said about the “drama” she faces in school. “A lot of people don’t like me. … Kids talk so bad behind my back.” We want to give these jealous girls quite a talkin’ to right now.She’s not allowed to date yet, but she can “date in groups,” like at the mall. (I freaking love that Oprah asked her this.)
- She loves acting because “you can take on a new character.” What teenage girl doesn’t want to try on a new persona for size once in a while?
- Though their dad used to put them “on punishment” for fighting, Paris and Blanket are closer now. Prince has “started to drift off,” but his sister wisely chalks this up to him being a teenage boy.
- Whenever she hears a song of her dad’s playing somewhere, “I just start to dance,” rather than cry. Unless it’s “You Are Not Alone.” And OK, that made us cry on the spot.
- Though missing her dad “never gets easier” and memories of him come to her all the time, she told Oprah, “I think I’m doing all right.”
[Photo: OWN Network]