As you can see from the video above, Tom Cruise’s co-stars Malin Akerman, Julianne Hough and Catherine Zeta-Jones really feel like the actor was a real rock star on the set of Rock of Ages — and they meant that in the best way, not the diva-concert rider, trash the hotel room kind of way. And from what we can tell from clips of him as Stacee Jaxx, the guy really poured himself into the part. But none of this should surprise us in the least: After all, the guy has always been a rock star, even when he was at his most clean-cut and Hollywood. Here, we’d like to count down the 10 moments when he most resembled the lead singer of his own guitar-thrashing, ear-melting, groupie-attracting, Billboard-topping band.
10. His momentary rocker hairstyles
9. That experimental music phase (a.k.a. the Anonymous Scientology video)
8. His goth phase (as Lestat in Interview With the Vampire)
7. Showing off all manner of vehicles, MTV Cribs style, for the New York premiere of Mission: Impossible III
6. His side project, Les Grossman
5. Hooking up with a fan, a.k.a. Katie Holmes
4. Choosing swagger over pitch, singing in Top Gun
3. Going wild onstage, or on Oprah’s couch
2. Respecting his early hits, like Risky Business
1. Seeking out a new high, like, literally, for Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.