So, we weren’t the only ones thrown for a complete loop by Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes‘ divorce announcement on Friday, right? That kind of blew the roof off … everything. Up till Friday, we learned that Katie was the one filing for divorce (no surprise there) in New York, and wanted sole custody of their daughter, Suri. Tom was said to be completely “blindsided” — no surprise there either. But since Friday, as expected, there have been a number of rumors and news stories doing the rounds about the reason for the split. We’ve rounded them up for you, so you can stay in the loop about what the hell is going on with those two.
• Katie may have messed things up for Tom by filing for divorce in New York, according to sources. Apparently, this could really create a massive hassle for Tom, due to tax reasons — rates are super high in NYC. Also New York courts would be way more inclined to give Katie sole custody of Suri, as the laws differ from California child-centric laws. Their New York apartment is in Katie’s name, which Tom signed over a while ago, just so he could avoid the tax fallback. This decision could bite him on the hiney now, as Kate’s now using that apartment as proof of residency, which will allow her to file in New York.
• Tom and Katie have been living separately in the weeks leading up to the divorce, even though they were in the same city. Katie stayed in the apartment, while Tom apparently, lived at The Greenwich Hotel, and never once visited. This all went down last month. The buzz is that Katie dropped by unannounced with Suri, at his hotel, twice. People in their building have told the press that Tom hadn’t been around for a while, which means the trouble had been brewing for a while then. Katie now has a new three bedroom apartment as well, that she and Suri are moving into.
• Tom has now lawyered up with the same ace attorney he used with his divorce with Nicole Kidman, back in 2001 — Dennis Wasser. His litigator, Bert Fields has said, “I would hope that it’s not a contentious matter. I know Tom is not a particularly contentious person.” “I can’t comment on that. It will all come out,” is what he countered when asked about a pre-nup. Kate is being repp’d by a New Jersey-based attorney called Jonathan Wolfe.
• Katie was “cast” to be Tom’s wife, the New York Post says, after other actresses like Erika Christensen didn’t pass muster, and Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba didn’t bite.
• This is, by far, one of the weirder ones. Supposedly, Katie is being TAILED by Scientologists! This is what sources tell TMZ. Apparently, she is now a threat to their organisation, so they’ve been following her every move, in the New York area, specifically. TMZ also reports that there are “mysterious” mean and cars around Katie’s apartment — a white Cadillac Escalade and a black Mercedes SUV in particular — over the last week, and these have been photographed. Is this the media, or Scientologists or maybe even some Tom has sicced on her? Who knows!
• The Church of Scientology responded to the report, through their lawyer, Gary Soter, saying that they were not tailing Katie.
• Katie’s family has been gathering information on Tom and his involvement with Scientology as revealed by Marty Rathburn, an ex-Scientologist who was quite high up in the church. Rathburn says that one of his close friends is the one doing all the blabbing. “I did audit sessions with Tom Cruise from 2001-2004, and I can tell you that I have a friend that has been providing Katie Holmes’ family information for years about the iron grip the Church of Scientology has on Tom Cruise’s family and professional life. This has been going on for at least four years,” is what Rathburn has revealed.
• The final break for Katie Holmes was when Cruise supposedly wanted to ship six-year-old Suri off to the “Sea Organization.” It’s like a boot camp, on a huge boat, where the more hardcore levels of Scientology are taught to kids as young as five (without their parents.) Katie thought that Tom was close to sending Suri off, as he really supports that school. Members of Sea Org sign “a one-billion-year pledge to symbolize their eternal commitment to the religion and it is still signed by all members today.” Jessica Feshbach, Katie’s old assistant, and Scientologist “chaperon”, was a member of Sea Org, which she started in 1994. Basically, the word is that Katie filed to get Suri — and herself — the hell out, so she could protect her daughter.
[Photo: Getty Images]