When it comes to famous people, airports often end up acting the fool. Take Nicki Minaj‘s distressing run-in at London’s Heathrow’s security checkpoint for example. “Pretty sure I was just overtly fondled @ this check point. By a very old lady w/an accent. Word?,” the rapper tweeted yesterday. Nicki also posted a photo of the alleged groper, adding after the fact: “So TSA always takes pics of me while doing their job! But wld u believe they just told ME EYE couldn’t take pics???? Wow. #luckyIMsick.” Yikes, what ever happened to “the customer is always right. And shouldn’t be fondled against their will”?
Now, as far as we can see, there is no way that woman wouldn’t know she was getting overly familiar with the Nicki Minaj. This isn’t Blythe Danner we’re talking about; Nicki’s luggage is probably made out of neon-colored Barbie clothes. We’re not suggesting that famous people deserve to be treated differently during air travel; sometimes that’s the worst idea imaginable (Gerard Depardieu’s urine-soaked adventure, anyone?). That being said, a huge number of celebrity/airline run-ins are just baffling to us. Don’t they know the public cares about celebrities more than anything? Haven’t they heard about the devastating power of Twitter? In addition to Minaj’s bizarro pat down, a host of other celebs have flown the unfriendly skies. Celebs such as:
[Photo: Getty Images]
- Kevin Smith: Southwest kicked the Dogma director off their flight for being prohibitively obese; Smith pointed out that he was still thin enough to sit in a normal seat, and put the airline on blast for months after the fact. Years even.
- Billy Joe Armstrong: The Green Day front man was asked to leave a Southwest flight because his “pants sagged too low.” Isn’t everyone sitting during a flight anyway? Is this some kind of “standing room only” aircraft?
- LMFAO’s Sky Blu: The “Sexy And I Know It” singer was escorted off an Air Canada flight after a fight with none other with Mitt Romney, who was also booted off the plane. Just kidding! Politicians aren’t the right kind of celebrities, silly.
- Leisha Hailey: The L Word actress reported that she was booted off a Southwest flight for kissing her lady friend. Kissing her so hard that the plane lost its navigational controls! Oh no, wait…just regular kissing.
- Cat Stevens: The singer had his flight diverted while in the air when people noticed that his new name (Yusuf Islam) had been added to a terrorist watch list. Yes, the guy who wrote “Cat’s In The Cradle.” We know!
- Joan Rivers: The comedian was removed from a Continental flight for having her married and professional names on her passport. Or maybe the universe just wanted to give her new material. One of the two.
- Mo’Nique: The comedian was booted off a United Airlines flight for trying to store her hairdresser’s hair dryer in first class. “Tell your people that the next time they have an attitude, they are being thrown off,” a flight attendant allegedly told the Oscar winner after her entourage objected. “Since 9/11, we don’t play around.” Retorted Mo’Nique, “Are you equating my hair dryer with 9/11?” Almost worth it for the joke? Yeah. Almost.