It’s no surprise that Twilight-mania was the focus of our attention today at San Diego Comic-Con — it is, after all it was the beginning of the end of an era, for the saga as well as for VH1 Celebrity and all the other blogs that have basically devolved into fangirls for the past four years. But while Kristen Stewart and company were getting teary-eyed about their last Con as a group, Twilight mastermind Stephenie Meyer swooped in to remind us that there are many other things in the world to fangirl over, namely, another thing she created: The Host. People were already filing out of Hall H when Stephenie got back on the mic and announced that she and Andrew Niccol, the director of her next adaptation, were ready to show fans the first real sneak peek of the alien-invasion flick. That certainly got our attention away from needing to hunt down some convention-center junk food. Check out Kate Spencer and I recapping all our favorite moments of day one in the video above (and me calling actors “hot” maybe a few too many times). Now, here are five things that gave us goosebumps and reminded us that, yes, there will be life after Twilight:
1. The Soul eyes look awesome. After hearing the Twilight crew complain that the contact lenses were kinda the hardest part about making the films, we were worried about this. For the uninitiated, the book is about people possessed by alien creatures called Souls, which give their hosts’ eyes a weird silver halo. Instead of that weird blank stare colored contacts can give actors, these made them just seem creepily serene, as they should.
2. It is PACKED with action. The first scene is just like the book, showing Melanie being chased and jumping into an air shaft. And what we saw ended with a dramatic car/truck/helicopter chase.
3. Max Irons is super hot. Especially when making out with Saoirse Ronan in the rain.
4. Saoirse Ronan, as we suspected, is the perfect person to convey both the distress of invaded host Melanie Stryder and the eerie serenity of invader Wanderer. And the voice of Melanie in her head doesn’t make you want to laugh inappropriately.
5. Jake Abel is super hot. Though kind of not when he’s trying to strangle Saoirse Ronan, because that would be wrong.
[Photo: Getty Images]