Jena Malone has been officially cast as Catching Fire‘s Johanna Mason! Could you possibly be more surprised? We’re being sarcastic, of course; we feel like we’ve heard more about this particular casting rumor than about any detail of The Hunger Games so far. With all this hype, Jena had better bring her arm-stabbing game correct! We’re just being sarcastic again; we’re positive she will. While it was a long time coming, we’re at least glad to know who will be portraying one of the movie’s more pivotal characters. What other details do we know about Catching Fire thus far? Allow us to break it down for you.
- I Am Legend director Francis Lawrence took the film’s reigns from Gary Ross for Catching Fire with much wailing and gnashing of teeth from fans.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman will pomp it up as Plutarch Heavensbee.
- Pulp Fiction‘s Amanda Plummer will play oddball tribute Wiress.
- Melissa Leo and Tony Shalhoub are rumored for Mags and Beetee, respectively. We’re not the only ones increasinly psyched to see a bunch of grizzled, wise tributes (and the excellent actors that play them) in the arena, right?
- Pre-production for the film allegedly begins September 10 in Atlanta following auditions this spring and early summer, with other scenes to be shot in Hawaii. All of which brings us to what we still don’t know…
Who is playing Finnick? The cast director honestly must have auditioned every single human being who sent in a headshot, if rumors about everyone from Garrett Hedlund to Armie Hammer going up for the role are true. Sam Claflin is the latest name dangled in front of our noses like loaves of delicious, regionally-themed bread, and we take solace in the fact that he has to be officially cast at some point in the next few weeks. If not, Francis Lawrence might have to use a tennis ball on the end of a broom handle or something as a stand-in. Ugh, why did we give him the idea? We’re never going to find out who’s playing Finnick now!
[Photo: Getty Images]