A nervous but still smiling Robert Pattinson made his first public appearance since his girlfriend Kristen Stewart was…you know. Let’s not rehash those dirty details. Instead let’s focus on Rob, who has come out in full force promoting his new David Cronenberg-helmed film, Cosmopolis. He’ll do Good Morning America and MTV First with our pal Josh Horowitz later this week, but tonight he went face-to-face with Jon Stewart and a couple of pints of ice cream, and the consensus from fans is that the dude nailed it. Let’s review what people had to say on Twitter, shall we? (Thank you to every one of you who tweeted your thoughts to me! You rule the school.)
EXHIBIT A: ROB HAS CLASS
|The Daily Show with Jon Stewart||Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c|
I used “class act” in the headline because it was the thing people tweeted most to me in reaction to his goofy, awkward but adorable ice-cream eating appearance.
- “He is a class act” — @flying099
- “He is a class act! And I love to hear him giggle.” — @imtulip
- “i thought he looked amazing & handled himself extremely well. class act” — @hey_hon
- “He was a class act, but still real and very genuine. No script for Rob & I love that. I couldn’t have admired him more.” — @smurfy_tapz
- “he is such a class act. He never disappoints. Took the high road. Giggled a bit. He’ll be fine.” — @rhonda_
- “Very well played. He showed he was a pro and a good sport, and handled himself with class. He can only gain fans as a result.” — @Thia2
- “Definitely one of the most charming, respectable & classy men in the business. Way to go Rob!” — @MandyKLynn
- “he did great. Charming and kept it classy. I’m happy he was able to joke around a bit.” — @laurenzee
- “Rob is a classy motherf**ker.” — @xfadingspells
EXHIBIT B: HE HANDLED AN AWKWARD SITUATION REALLY WELL
Just about everyone who tweeted at me about the interview seemed to think Rob rocked what was surely a weird situation.
- “So good like the pro we’ve always known him to be. Could’ve been rude when it was brought up but he stayed classy as always. PS I think Jon looked more nervous about what to say than Rob did.” — @chudygirl
- “I thought he was his typical awkward amazing self. He didn’t mention anything about his personal life which was great.” — @shlebbie
- “Well. Played. robert has stepped up his professional game and it’s refreshing to see.” — @calliopeblabs
- “I think he handled that amazingly well.” — @kate_boberg
- “thought he handled the situation as well as possible.” — @twiloverok
- “I thought rob was a pro. He laughed everything off, didn’t engage and was funny as hell. He was brilliant.” — @heavenly_vixen
EXHIBIT C: FANS SEEM TO LOVE ROB EVEN MORE NOW
I mean, the suit alone was reason to swoon, but he somehow only managed to be more charming.
- “All day was on his term. From not getting paped getting to NYC, to being a classy, sweet & good nature man being private” — @silvalnice
- “Rob is always so classy and respectful. Love him so much.” — @AprilLynette
- “HE DID AMAZING!! COULDN’T DO BETTER UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES.” — @tashpolo
- “def put on a strong front. Stay Strong Roberto, stay strong.” — @up4anything2
- “i was proud of him overall. a step in the right direction, i think.” — @subtletheory
EXHIBIT D: HE EVEN MADE A NEW FAN
- “I’ve never been charmed by him before…but was tonight.” — @erinmallorylong
EXHIBIT E: PEOPLE INTERPRETED HIS SILENCE ON KRISTEN DIFFERENTLY
From it being a positive thing:
- “Cute, sad, funny. Didn’t want pity & didn’t place blame. Didn’t say it was over. Didn’t say it wasn’t.He’s the best.” — @tyderium
- “If he really loved her, he would have said something 2 ease her public flogging. His silence is permission 2 continue with it.” — @notsoorigina
CONCLUSION: Robert Pattinson has taken the high road in a stinky situation, and so far it’s working well for him. Fans have his back now more than ever, and new people/naysayers are paying attention and even coming around. Cosmopolis is getting a lot of buzz and by staying silent on his personal life the focus is, amazingly, somewhat staying on his work. IMHO, not commenting on your personal relationship — regardless of your status together — is admirable and respectful of the other person involved. What say you?
Tonight on The Daily Show Rob joked about not having a publicist and needing one now, but I think he’s doing quite well on his own. If you have more to say on Rob’s first post-drama public appearance, the comments and Twitter await you!