A new promo video came out yesterday that gave us our most comprehensive sneak peek yet of what Glee’s fourth season will look like when it premieres on September 13 — and it gave us a really good look at the show’s newest stars, Kate Hudson, Melissa Benoist, Jacob Artist, Becca Tobin and Dean Geyer. We’ll get around to talking about the others soon enough, but today we wanted to learn a little more about Dean, the NYADA student who appears to be a big threat to Rachel and Finn’s long-distance relationship. Before Finchel fans start throwing things at the guy, let’s learn a little more about this easy-on-the-eyes actor.
- The 26-year-old actor/musician was born in Johannesburg and moved to Australia when he was 15.
- He didn’t start playing music until he was 18, but by the time he was 20, he blew away the judges with his audition for Australian Idol in 2006. He finished in third place. Here’s his audition video:
- After Idol, Dean earned a recording contract with Sony and released his first album, Rush, in 2007. The label dropped him after it tanked, but not before he made this dreamy video:
- That was not as huge a blow to Dean’s career as it could have been, because he landed the role of Ty on the popular Australian soap Neighbours, where he got to play a musician. Here’s a duet he did with his co-star:
- He quit the soap in 2008, and some speculated it was because his sexy storyline didn’t mesh well with his Christian beliefs. “In some instances my personal beliefs maybe were contradicting with what the character was doing,” he said at the time. “I am not saying I was forced to do anything, but looking at the character I don’t necessarily agree with everything he did.” Err, hope he’s OK with Glee’s plots!
- He played a soldier on Fox’s short-lived series Terra Nova last year. Apparently, 11 episodes was enough to inspire a whole lot of fan videos.
- In the meantime, he put his extensive martial arts background to use in the MMA movie Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown.
- In his audition for Glee, Dean had to prove his chemistry with Lea Michele. He also sang Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River,” “One Song, Glory” from Rent and a Josh Groban song.
- In the promo video, Lea says of Dean’s character Brody: “He’s the only guy that Finn has had to compete with for Rachel.”
- Dean describes Brody as “arrogant at times, but he’s got really good intentions.” He relates to Rachel, because he was “nerdy” and “dorky” when he grew up in Montana. “New York has changed him and made him over,” he told E!.
- He looks really, really good with his shirt off. But we kinda think the Glee hair and makeup team should have left his eyebrows bushy.
Are you a longtime Dean fan? Tell us why we should love him!
[Photos: Fox, Sony, Lea Michele’s Instagram]