It’s not so much the “ignoring thousands of years of evolutionary programming and cultural taboos” aspect that startles us about director Nick Cassavetes‘ defense of incest. It’s more that The Notebook director would defend it out loud. To a reporter. Out loud. “Who gives a s— if people judge you?” Cassavetes declared to TheWrap while discussing his new film Yellow at the Toronto Film Festival. “I’m not saying this is an absolute but in a way, if you’re not having kids – who gives a damn? Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage – love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.” And he had to compare it to gay marriage, didn’t he?
We can think of at least one difference between the two (the difference being that one is incest), but maybe the Hangover Part II actor just felt the need to defend the subject matter of his upcoming film, costarring Melanie Griffith and Sienna Miller? Of course, Cassavetes wouldn’t be the first celebrity to make a jaw-dropping statement in public. In fact, he merely joins the pantheon of baffling celeb quotes such as:
- “I understand Hitler. I think he did some wrong things but I can see him sitting in his bunker. I’m saying that I think I understand the man. He is not what we could call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him.” — Melancholia director Lars Von Trier at 2011’s Cannes Film Festival. Von Trier later explained that he was joking: just more proof that if you have to explain it, it isn’t funny.
- “A woman doing comedy doesn’t offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world.” — Comedian Jerry Lewis at the 1998 U.S. Comedy Arts Festival.
- “My d— is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a f—ing David Duke c—. I’m going to start dating separately from my d—.” — John Mayer in a 2010 Playboy interview.
- “Psychiatry is a pseudoscience…. You don’t know the history of psychiatry. I do…Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, you don’t even — you’re glib. You don’t even know what Ritalin is.” — Tom Cruise during a Today interview with Matt Lauer in 2005.
- “F—ing Jews … Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a Jew?” and “What are you looking at, Sugar Tits?” — Mel Gibson, during his 2006 DUI arrest.
- “She’s got double D’s! You can’t cover those suckers up!” — Jessica Simpson‘s dad Joe regarding Jessica Simpson’s boobs, a comment that when compared to everything else on this list seems mild enough to put on the family Christmas card.
[Photo: Getty Images]