It’s that time of the year again. The leaves are going to start turning soon. Wardrobes are too, to accommodate the changing seasonal trends. It’s a tricky path though, because there’s so much information out there. What we’ve done is gleaned the top 10 trends out of all the tomes of “what to wear” out there and put them on the list. More than anything, these are the 10 trends that our fashion-forward celebrities have been wearing out and about, on magazine covers, in campaigns and for various events and premieres.
2. Oversized Coats: Another massive trend this season, be certain that your coat is big enough so it looks voluminous and chic, but not big enough so that you look lost in. Make sure you’re wearing it, and it’s not wearing you. Ashley Olsen got it right on the subscriber cover of Elle UK!
3. Monochrome: This fall trend can be worn in many avatars. Celebrities like Rihanna, Chloe Sevigny and Victoria Beckham have channeled monochrome into different looks — funky, mod and classic. So can you.
4. Modern Country/ Americana: Taylor Swift‘s Vogue cover got this trend spot on. Oversized hats, chunky knits, tweeds have been revived into modern silhouettes. It’s the new nostalgia. Think lots of Rodarte!
5. Capes: When Gwyneth Paltrow wore that white Tom Ford cape and gown to the Academy Awards, there was a collective gasp of … something. Then Lana del Rey wore one to the Met Ball to approval because people started getting used to the idea of capes. Kim Kardashian even wore one in Paris. Yup, it’s big.
6. Peplum: Go on … you’re not surprised. Peplum’s been everywhere. It was so going to be on the top 10 trends for fall! It’s not our favorite look, but you have to admit Kate Hudson looks lovely wearing the trend in this Ann Taylor campaign.
7. Printed Suits: Match your trousers to your jackets … the wilder the print, the better. Not the easiest look to pull off, but hey, Nina Dobrev‘s doing an amazing job of it on the cover of Fashion magazine!
8. The waist: Bring on the belts … the waist is back! How happy Michelle Obama must be at this news. She has the most incredible collection, including some Alaia ones we covet! Nip the waist in with some pintucks or a snazzy belt to participate in this trend.
9. Baroque embroidery: So big this season! Baroque embroidery is so romantic and eye-catching. Look no further than Alexander McQueen for cues. How stunning did Jessica Chastain look at the Academy Awards in the brand? And Elizabeth Banks, who is a huge fan of the brand always gets in right too.
[Photos: Getty Images/ Splash News Online/ Vogue/ Styleite/ Fashion/ Ann Taylor/ Donna Karan]