Someone unfreeze the oxen and break out the corn cob dolls! There’s a Little House on the Prairie movie on the way! There’s been such a spat of films about tomboy heroines surviving in the great outdoors recently (True Grit, Hunger Games if you don’t consider the futuristic dystopia aspect, etc), it makes sense that someone would attempt to bring the pioneering Ingalls family to the big screen. We never suspected it would be Shame screenwriter Abi Morgan to do it, but why not? Why. Not. Of course, it will really fall to the cast to pull off a movie adaptation of the beloved series. Based on our distant memories of the books/slightly less distant memories of the show, our initial casting picks would be:
- Charles “Pa” Ingalls: Subergatory‘s Jeremy Sisto. How handsome will he be in a pair of suspenders, escaping from a sudden snowdrift? Extremely handsome.
- Caroline “Ma” Ingalls: Amy Adams. Nailed it.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder: Modern Family’s Ariel Winter! Who else do we want to see curl her hair with a lead pencil, hmmm? HMMMM?
- Mary Ingalls Kendall: Put a bonnet on Abigail Breslin and we’re good to go.
- Carrie Ingalls: It would be a perfect follow-up role for Breaking Dawn Part 2‘s Mackenzie Foy
- Grace Ingalls: We don’t know. A baby of some kind?
- Nellie Oleson: Okay, so maybe Chloe Grace Moretz wouldn’t want to slip into a petticoat after staring in the Carrie remake, but she’s so delightfully vile as the arch, conniving Kaylie Hooper on 30 Rock. Remember when Nellie made fun of Albert for being an orphan? Nellie is truly a villain built for the big screen, and we can tell that Chloe would just crush it.
[Photo: Lionsgate Home Entertainment]