As much fun as it is to see all the mega drama between Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey unfurl on the American Idol judges panel, we have to admit that it would actually be more fun to see them join forces. You saw the video of their fight at the North Carolina auditions and while it was vicious, it also fed into this sort of caricature of women in pop music. You know what we’re saying. It’s either besties like Katy Perry and Rihanna or beefing like Nicki and Mariah now are. And the beef is what gets blown up and that’s how divas (and we don’t mean that as a compliment) get made and torn down in this endless cycle of push them up and then yank them down. What’s the point, ladiez? Isn’t this counter-productive and exhausting? It takes energy to yell like that! And besides, let’s just all f—g get along for once. Nicki and Mariah are prime examples of two powerful women who should actually be BFFs. You heard us. Mariah and Nicki should be best pals. Not only did they collaborate on the remix of Mariah’s “Up Out My Face” in 2010, but they also have a lot more in common than people realize. Not convinced? Here are five reasons why.
1. For the love of the color pink: Any two grown women who share such a deep, passionate and unabashed love for the color pink — see the photographs above as proof — should find each other and never let each other go. No, seriously. Those two women take the color and make it fierce. Nicki even has a mixtape called Love Pink and an album called Pink Friday. And yes, that’s the name of Nicki’s fragrance as well. Mariah has fragrances called Luscious Pink and Ultra Pink. Mariah also had a design competition back in 2008 called “Design a Luscious Pink Dress for Mariah Carey!” See what we mean? They need to bond over this shared love.
2. Favorite food and drink: Nicki’s favorite things in the world to munch on are cranberries. Know what Mariah‘s favorite juice is? Cranberry juice. Which she drank virgin when preggers, but otherwise is known to sport a cranberry-vodka cocktail. Which she and Nicki need to have a couple of, stat.
3. They’ve both worked their way up: We would think Mariah and Nicki would have tons to talk about — their waitress roots, for one. They both had to support themselves when they were working their ways up. Nicki waitressed at the Red Lobster, while Mariah waitressed in Manhattan.
4. Both have family members with histories with drugs: Nicki has spoke of her father’s drug addiction and abuse, saying, “My father was abusive. We were afraid for [my mother's] life because whenever he would have a real bad outburst, he would threaten to kill her. I wanted to kill him. I wished he was dead.” Mariah’s estranged, HIV-positive sister used to have a major drug addiction as well. It’s not been easy for either of them so there should be some sort of mutual respect, right?
5. For the love of the fans: Both women have armies of hard-core fans. Mariah has her lambs and Nicki has her barbz. Can you imagine what would happen if they women combined their legions? They’d rule the world.
[Photos: Splash News Online]