Excited, we are! We had always presumed that George Lucas‘ Star Wars series had come to an end (mainly because he, um, consistently declared that it had), but it looks like Disney has other plans for Luke and the gang: the company announced today that it had made a $4.05 billion dollar deal to purchase Lucasfilm Ltd and has already scheduled episode 7 to be released in 2015. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers,” Lucas said of the deal. “I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime.”
Personally, we’re on board. Lucas had originally imagined Star Wars as nine movies; it just must have seemed like a Herculean feat to get them all made. Now that they are on the way, we can think of at least five reasons off the top of our heads why Star Wars Episode 7 is going to be truly, truly sick:
1) No Jar Jar Binks! The grating, vest-wearing, pseudo-Jamaican-baby-talking sidekick ruined Episode 1 (and certainly didn’t help Episodes 2 and 3), but since Episode 7 takes place after Return of the Jedi, we should be spared his awfulness. Dear God, unless Jar Jar’s immortal…
2) Space babies! According to Wikipedia, the next trio of films allegedly takes place 20 to 30 years after the original three. According to canon, Episodes 7 through 9 are about Leia and Han’s kids. While there’s no word as to the actual plot of Episode 7 yet, we guarantee you that Leia and Han and/or Luke will have created a new generation of young Jedi. How cute is that? Cute and badass!
3) The technology! Guys, the movie isn’t coming out until 2015. Think about all the technological advances we’ve made in the past few years alone. The move effects are guaranteed to look insane.
4) All the cameos! Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford: everyone you ever loved from the Star Wars universe will undoubtedly be involved on some level.
5) New icon villains! Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Maul, Jabba the Hut, Boba Fett, you name it. The Star Wars universe has given us so many amazing villains; there is no way they won’t bring the evil in the next three movies. Fantasize about your future Halloween costumes accordingly!
[Photo: Getty Images]