As a young kid, there’s no dream like qualifying for the Olympics. Whether you grew up admiring Kerri Strug, Mia Hamm or Michael Phelps, you’ve probably pictured yourself on that podium, waving your hand proudly in the air to fans as the National Anthem blares around you. Well, not many of us become professional athletes, but Halloween is that time where we can fulfill that little fantasy of ours. And because the 2012 women’s gymnastics team is AWESOME, here’s how you can become an honorary member of the Fierce Five and take home the gold this Halloween! (And if you can rope in four other friends to join you, even better.)
1. Buy a plain red leotard online at a discount dance supply store ($18.05)
2. Dot the red leotard with Lumiere Dimensional Metallic Paint & Adhesive from an art supply store ($1.99)
3. With a piece of paper and a black marker, give yourself a gymnast ID number. I wrote “2012″ for fun. Pin it on your back with a safety pin. This is also when you can make yourself a medal, if you like, but I chose to go for performance mode, rather than the podium.
4. Put your hair in a tight high ponytail. If you have hairspray, hold it in place, if not, water will do. You want to create a tight, sleek look.
5. While you want to create a dramatic look for your Olympic moment, you can do so with the makeup you already have at home. Make sure everything is BIG. Like your crazy dance teachers used to say, you want to be able to be seen from the stage. I just used my regular day-to-day makeup but made my lines bolder. If you have glitter, use it!
Now look who’s ready to be on the cover of a Wheaties box! Happy Halloween!
[Photos: Getty Images, VH1]