It’s on all of us to pitch in and aid those affected by Hurricane Sandy, but it touches a cold, hard part of our soul to see famous people step up and do what’s right following a tragedy. They just have so much more money than us! In addition to Bruce Springsteen, Christina Aguilera, Sting and Billy Joel reminding America to have a heart via song at last week’s Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together telethon, plenty of celebs did their part this week. For example…
- Boy millionaire Justin Bieber pledged to donate $1 dollar of every New York-area concert ticket to the Sandy relief effort. “For every ticket sold on the #BELIEVEtour we donate 1 dollar to charity. So after talking with the team I am proud to announce that for the 4 NYC area shows,” Bieber posted to Facebook. “The Jersey Show, Brooklyn Show, and 2 MSG’s We are going to donate $1 to HURRICANE SANDY Relief. thanks for helping us #GIVEBACK.”
- Yesterday Jack Johnson spread the wealth by donating $50,000 to the Food Bank for New York City, the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, Save the Children, Waves for Water, GlobalGiving and Direct Relief International.
- Jimmy Kimmel auctioned the desk he used during his Brooklyn taping of the Jimmy Kimmel Show last week. The desk was signed by celebrity guests from David Letterman to Stephen Colbert, and proceeds will go to the Red Cross. Man, would we love to have Stephen Colbert’s signature to look at while we blog. Anyone feeling extremely generous?
- Pit bull lover Rachael Ray is donating $500,000 to the ASPCA, $100,000 to City Harvest and the Food Bank for New York City, and four tons of dog food to help out Sandy victims and their pets. “When you make your living in food, you have to give back in the same way,” Rachel Ray explained following her announcement.
- Emma Watson, newswoman Paula Zahn and celeb chef Sandra Lee all volunteered to deliver meals to home-bound New Yorkers via Citymeals-on-Wheels, which must have been a confusingly awesome surprise for residents enrolled in the program. Watson also donated to the Mayors Fund, because she’s classy like that.
- Rihanna kept it cute/kind toward her fellow man by donating 1,000 sleeping bags to Sandy relief efforts through the New York Daily News, as well as pledging the admission price to tonight’s listening party at Jay-Z‘s 40/40 club for her upcoming Unapologetic album.
- New York born and bred, it was no surprise that Lady Gaga pledged $1 million to the American Red Cross. We’re just kind of surprised that she made us tear up while doing so. “If it wasn’t for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today,” she wrote on LittleMonsters.com. “Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours. Sincerely, Lady Gaga and The Germanottas.” Oh, celebrities. They are just like us…on our best days.
[Photo: Getty Images]