When word first started to spread last week that Channing Tatum would be named People’s Sexiest Man Alive this year, the collective response seemed to be, “Well, duh.” This is not one of the mag’s more controversial choices, for sure. But because we are journalists (for real!) we thought we’d delve a little into why the Magic Mike star is such an obvious choice. We came up with 10 reasons for you. Feel free to tell us your own!
10. He told wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum about his new title while they were bathing their skunked dogs. We think this means it’s not going to his head, or something.
9. While he’s undeniably hot, he also has such an everyman quality to his looks and attitude that he makes guys feel like they could be him and ladies feel like they could be with him. That’s rare in a Hollywood heartthrob.
8. He’s still ambitious and plans to try his hand at directing soon, possibly working up to directing Magic Mike 2.
7. He’s into making dude films as much as indies and rom-coms. See: G.I. Joe, The Vow, 10 Years, the possible Evel Knievel flick.
6. He’s so the opposite of homophobic, he got his grind on with Elton John. And later told Out magazine that getting groped by Sir Elton was “Like any other hand up my ass, but more knightly. I can check that box now. It falls under the umbrella of doing sexual sh– with Elton John in public.”
5. Every time we see him with Jenna, we practically die of their cuteness together.
4. He’s funny as hell. See: SNL, the drug scene in 21 Jump Street. “F— you, science!”
3. He is so unashamed of his humble stripper past, he made a movie about it.
2. He recognizes that whole having kids decision is up to Jenna. As he told People, “It’s really easy for us guys to say, ‘I want like 15 kids.’ Jenna will be like, ‘Well you better get another wife!'”
1. And, oh yeah, he can dance like this.
[Photos: Getty Images, People]