Sexy, often scandalous, and forever sensational — throw in a thigh-high slit into your gown and you’re going to get completely eyeballed. The more daring the cut, the more looks it’s going to get, so you know that celebrities love this major red carpet trend. 2012 has been the year for thigh-baring gown slits as our stars went all out to show as much leg as possible. Most of your most beloved ladies and ours opted for the style, so we decided to pick the top 15 most incredible leggy gown moments and rank them. We’ll start with number 15 and work our way up to numero uno. Of course, all the photographs, numbered accordingly, are in the gallery below, so have a look and a read and tell us whether we got it right in the comments section.
15. Sophia Bush: The actress went all out and showed some slinky leg while wearing an orange David Meister Signature dress. She accessorized with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry, Christian Louboutin shoes, and a Daniel Swarovski clutch. If there’s any place to take the fashion plunge — or cut — it was definitely at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards after party at the Boom Boom Room in June in New York City.
14. Kristen Stewart: Kristen rocked it and rocked some leg in a gorgeous golden Elie Saab dress with Christian Louboutin shoes at the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 Germany Premiere at CineStar in November, 2012 in Berlin.
13. Jada Pinkett Smith: Jada Pinkett Smith showed just how toned her legs are in a bright orange Atelier Versace gown and Jimmy Choos at the Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted premiere during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May.
12. Carrie Underwood: Did we expect to see Ms. Carrie Underwood’s very shapely leg in her Abed Mahfouz couture chiffon gown at the 47th Annual Academy Of Country Music Awards in Vegas in April, 2012? Not at all, which is what made it even more awesome.
11. Beyonce: Beyonce isn’t just all about being bootylicious. She’s pretty darn leggy as well, as was proved by her gorgeous Stephane Rolland gown at the 2012 BET Awards held in July in L.A. this year!
10. Miranda Kerr: This supermodel has legs for miles, which is what brough her to the number 10 spot on our list. And her bronzed Collette Dinnigan gown showed them off to perfection at the 2012 AACTA Awards in Sydney in July.
8. Kim Kardashian: Kim Kardashian klassed it up at the 2012 amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS benefit during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May this year. But not too much, because her mustard Elie Saab gown had a daring double slit that showed off those legs!
7. Nicole Scherzinger: Why hello, Nicole’s leg. Please to meet you. The singer showed off her shapely stems in a Cengiz Abazoğlu dress with Giuseppe Zanotti heels at the U.K. premiere of Men in Black 3 at Odeon Leicester Square in May, 2012 in London.
6. Rihanna: Ri-Ri was all about the leg in her minimal Giorgio Armani custom gown at the Stella McCartney Special Presentation in London in February this year.
5. Nina Dobrev: Nina Dobrev sparkled and showed off major leg through a major slit in her electric Elie Saab gown and Jimmy Choos at the 2012 amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS benefit during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May this year.
4. Angelina Jolie: The leg that launched a million memes! Angelina Jolie made her leg a statement in her daring Versace gown at the 84th Annual Academy Awards at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in February, 2012 in Hollywood.
3. Penelope Cruz: We don’t know how Penelope Cruz contained her modesty in this dangerously cut, but lovely Atelier Versace gown at the Twice Born premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival in September, 2012.
2. Heidi Klum: Runner-up Heidi Klum brought on double trouble with a double slit cut supremely high in her Alexandre Vauthier gown at the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in September, 2012.
1. Lea Michele: And the winner is … Lea Michele! Lea’s gown was cut so high, we could almost see her torso in her Versace gown (but of course) at the 18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards held at The Shrine Auditorium in January, 2012 in L.A.
“The Big & Best of 2012: A Year End Celebration Presented by T-Mobile” goes LIVE at 12 p.m. ET on 12/12/12. Watch at BigAndBestOf2012.com for eight hours of live performances from stars like Bruno Mars and Miguel, surprise guest appearances, prize giveaways, special editions of “RapFix Live,” “Big Morning Buzz Live,” “MTV After Hours,” “You Oughta Know” and much more!
[Photos: Getty Images]