In 2007, my iPod took a slight turn towards “old man living in Maine,” with a bunch of “This American Life” and “Lake Wobegone” podcasts joining my array of indie albums I downloaded and listened to once so I could have an opinion about them, but I also spent a lot of time listening to stand-up cds; of the eight or so comedy albums that come out each year that don’t have “Blue” or “Collar” in the title, here are my five favorites from ’07:
5. Various - Comedy Death Ray
Basically the L.A. equivalent to 2005′s Invite Them Up cd, Comedy Death Ray is a two-disc set of over 150 minutes of standup. There aren’t a lot of bits or character pieces, but between David Cross ripping on his dog, Paul Tompkins’ Fabio story, Doug Benson’s ode to McGriddles, Andy Daly summing up all standup ever in four minutes, and a generous 14 minutes of Todd Glass, it’s pretty tough not to find something to like.
Favorite Line (that I’m now ruining by typing it here): “When I was growing up, to jerk off, you had to get a Sears catalogue and flip to the lingerie section. But nowadays, with the internet, you can just go right to Sears dot com.” – Dan Mintz
4. Steven Wright – I Still Have a Pony
The standup of Steven Wright sounds much more at home in today’s comedy culture than it did during the 80′s piano-key-tie boom; we’ve grown accustomed alternative one-liner comedians like Mitch Hedberg and Zach Galifianakis to the point where the idea of Wright releasing a new standup cd in 2007 (his first since 1985′s “I Have a Pony”) makes perfect sense. This cd has so many quirky, memorable lines, I kind of wish I was back in college so I could put up some sweet away messages and then get laid because of how awesome my away messages are.
Favorite Line: “Next week, I’m gonna have an MRI to find out whether or not I have claustrophobia.”
Over the next couple of weeks, every day until the New Year, BWE.tv will be posting a series of Top 10 in ’07 Lists we have ingeniously titled BWE’s MERRY LISTMAS! Make sure to check in every day over the holiday break for our daily lists!If there would be an easy and quick way to describe 2007 it would be with this one simple word: Fierce. Which is why BWE.tv has compiled the following list: The Top 10 Fiercest Things of 2007. Let’s kick things off with a classic:
10. Harry Potter’s Peen Pix. Up until ’07, Daniel Radcliffe was known for an entirely different kind of Nimbus… HEYOOO! (Ed. Note: We are officially laying this joke to rest before ’08) But it seems that the actor made famous for wearing glasses bought at the Build-a-Bear store had something else to prove to the world at large: That he, in fact, had D’Angelo-style pelvic bones. And so we were blessed with his promotional pictures from his London stage debut in Equus, wherein Daniel removed his pants and draped himself across an unsuspecting mare like a saddle made out of albino calfskin. NOT SO FIERCE: Patchy happy trails.
9. Kathy Griffin in General. This has definitely been Kathy Griffin’s year. Not only did the former D-Lister recover nicely from a messy divorce with ex-squeeze Matt Moline by trading up a few billion dollars (she’s now dating Apple Computer founder Steve Wozniak, the only man with a beard more George Lucas-y than George Lucas), she also managed to snag an Emmy for her oustanding reality show My Life on the D-List. Her acceptance speech made fun of Jesus and pissed off the Catholics. And let’s not forget that she’s the only Gay Man in the country with a natural rack and vadg, which is secretly the definition of fierce. NOT SO FIERCE: Her adorable father passing away in February.
8. Posh’s Hair. British android moves to LA, turns hair into veritable weapon, becomes biggest hair icon since Jennifer Aniston went all Newscaster Nancy on us in the 90s. Said haircut, which would have been completely original if some guy named Vidal Sassoon never existed. Her haircut also did wonders to hide what industry insiders refer to as “alien face.” A slew of cultish celebrities followed in her heeled footsteps, from
Katie Kate Holmes to fellow pro-ana prezzy Jenna Jameson. Even Suri Cruise was seen sporting the sexy do! So big props to Posh’s haircut, the only hairstyle fierce enough to actually be able to kill a man. Honorable Mention Goes To: David Beckham’s package. NOT SO FIERCE: Grapefruit boobs.
7. Amy Winehouse’s Blood-Stained Ballet Shoes. What’s a fast and easy way to dress up an old pair of Capezio Ballet Shoes? Why, human blood of course! Blood-stained shoes say a lot about a lady. It says “You know, darndest thing: While I was running late to our extremely important appointment, I just happened to step in a bear trap and shred no less than three toes. But due to time constraints, I wasn’t able to pop by our local slipper cobbler, and had to wear them as is. The result is that my shoe has blood stains on it.” Or, in Amy’s case: “My boyfriend and I just did a lot of heroin, and somehow my shoes got covered in our blood.” Either way, you guys, totally FIII-AAARCE! NOT SO FIERCE: Hepatiteskies.
6. Charlize Theron’s J’Adore Commercial. If this commercial was an actor, it’s name would be Fierce Brosnan.
The List, and Charlize’s Fierce Video, Continues After the Jump!!