DVD addicts may find this week a little barren, with the big releases a toss-up between a Miley Cyrus movie and Furry Vengeance. So why not take a shot at this involving British coming-of-age film from the creators of The Office? Based on the experiences of co-writer/co-director Ricky Gervais, Junction steers away from outright comedy towards the drama of young men finding their way. Newcomer Christian Cooke is the one dreaming big, hoping to break free of the drudgery of a stuffy bank job. The acute 1970s period detail and spot-on musical choices are reminiscent of classic ensemble nostalgia-fests like American Graffiti or Diner. Maybe it’s not everybody’s plate of chips, but infinitely preferable to Brendan Fraser with a hamster down his pants.
Extras: Gervais, who co-stars as Cooke’s grumpy dad, appears on a commentary track with co-director Stephen Merchant and the cast members. Deleted scenes, blooper reel, featurettes.
- By C. Bottomley
Whatcha readin’, James Franco? Twilight, you say? Indeed.Ã‚Â Franco was seen reading a copy of Twilight during an interview with Esquire recently and explained that he was doing research for an upcoming project. While that could mean anything (because he’s James Franco and his “projects” range from grad school to General Hospital to Eat, Pray, Love), we’re thrilled to imagine him considering a role in Breaking Dawn. The question is, which role? Come, brainstorm with us.
1. J. Jenks. In our opinion, the middle-aged lawyer whose purpose it is to help Bella forge Jacob and RenesmeÃƒÂ©’s paperwork (if you haven’t read the book, don’t ask) would be amazing for Franco. This role would require Franco to employ every bit of weirdness he has. Plus, we’d love to see Franco do for Breaking Dawn what Tom Cruise did for Tropic Thunder, with the bald cap and the pervy glasses and the a slightly creepy, mysterious air about him.
2. Garrett, Kate’s mate in the Denali vampire clan. Pushing Daisies star Lee Pace is reportedly also being considered for the role of the harmless vamp who happens to be Edward’s good friend. To us, we’d enjoy nothing more than some Franco/Pattinson screen time where they tousle each other’s hair and powder each other’s pale skin– sorry, wait, that’s not part of Breaking Dawn, that’s some fan fiction we wrote. Never mind.
3. Nahuel, the peaceful 150-year-old half-human, half-vampire. Because nothing says “cameo” like arriving in the final five minutes of the film to save everyone’s life.
4. RenesmeÃƒÂ©. Hey, they developed the baby-face-transplanting technology for the Wayans Brother’s Little Man, we see no reason why they couldn’t further it by turning Franco into a tiny vamp who is also a girl, who also rapidly ages at ten times the rate of a normal baby. We’d pay good money to see “Featuring James Franco as Nessie” on the screen.
This weekendÃ‚Â Robert Pattinson is paying a conjugal visit to his better half, Kristen Stewart,Ã‚Â on the set of On The Road, which is filming in Montreal. (Check out photos of Rob on the set at the link.) It’s been a while since the pair has been spotted together, huh?
Pattinson has been spotted on the set visiting with Stewart and his pal Tom Sturridge, who also has a role in the film. Eyebrows were raised when Stewart was seen hanging out with Sturridge but it turns out he’s just making nice with his best friend’s girl.
Eat, Pray, Love represents a melding of two of our favorite things – movies and eating. But if it disappoints us the way Julie and Julia did (Amy Adams, we still haven’t forgive you or that ugly wig!) we might have to give up on the inspiring food film genre. The New York premiere for Eat, Pray, Love was host to not only the biggest stars from the film – yum yum, Javier Bardem, and also that Julia Roberts chick – and also plenty of celebs from the food world. Our girl Gail Simmons, who we love from Top Chef, was on hand, as were several chefs from the Food Network. Don’t get us started on why semi-half-assed Sandra Lee was there though, we still haven’t figured her out. We’re guessing she cooked James Franco and ate him while guzzling a signature cocktail though, since he’s suspiciously absent.
[Photos: Getty Images/]
Steve Carell and Tina Fey are the prom king and queen of primetime funny. Both The Office and 30 Rock are like comic tonic in the TV desert. But do they have what it take to be movie stars? On the basis of Date Night, the answer is “Yes, kinda.” It serves up two great performances in search of an adequate vehicle. Carell and Fey play a couple whose marriage has lost its sizzle. So they organize a “date night” at a swanky Manhattan restaurant. A case of mistaken identity leads them into a mélange of drug dealers, strip clubs and all the things movie studio execs think are exciting. As descents into a nocturnal wonderland go, this is no After Hours or even Adventures in Babysitting, but it’s redeemed by the leads’ smart chemistry. There are also appearances from Kristen Wiig, Mark Ruffalo and the reliable Ray Liotta. Look out for a shirtless Mark Wahlberg, whose nipples almost walk off with the movie.
Extras: A gag reel, dating PSAs featuring the stars, and two featurettes with director Steve Levy (Night at the Museum).
- By C. Bottomley
We’re guessing there are people in this world who’d jump in a septic tank to be treated like a VIP at a place like the Wet Republic Ultra Pool at the MGM Grand, the 53,000-square-foot “adults-only playground” in Las Vegas that features exclusive bungalows and party cabanas. But if you’re a 23-year-old actress with a bangin’ bikini body, then Wet Republic will pay you!
We have no idea how much Ashley Greene earned to “host” a party, but we’re guessing it was way more than adequate compensation — for duties including showing up with an entourage of more than a dozen friends, wearing a baby blue bikini, taking a dip, signing autographs and posing for pics. Oh to be young, beautiful — and a Twilight star! [Photo: Splash News Online]
To be fair, it was mostly vamps, but not all vamps at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards. Look at the hosts: Glee studs AND Katy Perry, who visited various high-school stereotypes through the show. Cue a gazillion costume changes (we like geeky Katy the best). And watching them were young Hollywood’s finest, including Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, approximately 3 million peeps from Twilight, Megan Fox, Channing Tatum, Sandra Bullock, Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, Ellen DeGeneras, David Beckham (wtf?), and The Kardashians. And my oh my, didn’t they look pretty? And some, well, didn’t.
The tweeny-teeny utopian 2010 Teen Choice Awards taped yesterday and were hosted by “Prom Kings” (the dudes from Glee) and “Prom Queen” (aka, Katy Perry, who doubled as a geeky backstage nerd wearing braces and bobby socks). As expected, vamps took over the show.
Robert Pattinson (photos) scooped up four surfboard awards (sans his pale, winsome lovah Kristen Stewart, who was MIA). The toothsome star won Choice Liplock and Choice Chemistry with KStew for New Moon and also got Choice Movie Star, Male for Eclipse. In non-vampirical news, he also won Choice Actor, Drama for Remember Me. But that’s just him moonlighting as a human, so it doesn’t really count.
The vamp tally stayed ridiculously high with KStew also picking up Choice Actress, Fantasy and Choice Movie Star, Female. What’s that we hear being chanted in the background? Team Jacob? Never fear, everybody’s favorite werewolf Taylor Lautner also walked off with Choice Fantasy, Actor, Choice Male Hottie AND Red Carpet Icon, Male. *Rwar*
There was a bit of a surprise element too. In a win that must’ve been bittersweet to say the least, ousted actress Rachelle Lefevre won Choice Villian for her cut-short turn as Victoria in New Moon. Ashley Greene and Kellan Lutz also scored for Choice Scene Stealer Male and Female respectively. And don’t even get us started on how many film categories New Moon and Eclipse won in. Hint: plenty.
BUT, they weren’t the only vampires (and, well, solo werewolf) who stole the show. The Vampire Diaries picked up six awards in the television category as well, making it one fangtastic night.
The winners list is long and dripping with hotties so if you’re interested, take a gander here. And look below for all the vamps risking life and limb to come out in daylight for our viewing pleasure. The show airs tonight at 8PM EST on Fox. [Photo: Getty Images]
We tend to rhapsodize about Sandra Bullock. But how could you not? We make our argument taking her appearance at yesterdays Teen Choice Awards into account.
• No one can rock black leather pants, a grey T-shirt and high heels like she can. She didn’t walk the blue carpet (yeah, they have a smurfy blue carpet), but instead popped up, badass-like, on stage. Now that’s an entrance.
• She won four awards, which makes her, like, the female Robert Pattinson. She scored the honored surfboards for The Blind Side in the Choice Drama and Choice Actress, Drama categories. She also won for The Proposal taking home Choice Actress, Romantic Comedy and Choice Dance with Betty White.
• Her acceptance speech had us cooing and snorting with laughter simultaneously. How does she do it (must take notes next time). “I don’t know if you should bring attention to this. Some things are better left unsaid. It’s been awhile since I was a teen…” Nice one, Sandy….nice one.
• She can bust a move with Betty White. And she showed us just how when they broke it down on stage to Lil Jon’s Get Low. That’s why Miss Sandy’s the bomb! [Photo: Getty Images]