Our friends at Defamer point us towards the latest YouTubular development in the Kramergate Scandal: a clip of Michael Richards playing a black person, which now carries with it an entirely new meaning.
The online detectives at Oh No They Didn’t have come across an interesting/career-killing blind item on a blog written by an anonymous entertainment lawyer. The gist of it is that a woman who made a living as a back-up singer was asked to record some demo songs… only to hear her voice on the radio a number of months later being passed off as a famous female singer’s. This woman would end up becoming the voice behind the name, even recording special “live” tracks for the singer’s tour. Very few hints are given as to who the singer could be, but there are some clues: The singer rose to popularity around 2000, and her second album did even better than her first — which was also a success.
The comments have speculated on a few singers — Jennifer Lopez being one. At first, we thought this made perfect sense, but what are the odds that this back-up singer has the same affected Latina accent as JLo? Unless the entire thing is made up? Any other ideas as to who it could be?
To pass the time before you’re sitting at your Turkey Day table, shoving bird down your gullet, here’s an amusing little short from Pete & Brian, who you might recognize from their work with us on Best Night Ever, about two cops who transcend all stereotypes. Enjoy!
It’s fun when you stumble upon earlier versions of your favorite characters. Like when you see old pictures of Mickey Mouse before he became Mickey Mouse. Or old videos of Robin Williams before he became terrible. Stuff like that. Well, Popoholic found this old clip of Borat from before he was Borat. Meet Cristoph, the Albanian predecessor to everybody’s favorite Kazakh reporter.
Despite the fact that this is 8 years old, I bet somebody from Albania still decides to sue him.
You know it’s a slow news week when 1. Someone covering someone else’s mouth is a top story; 2. Kelly Ripa is in the news; 3. Said controversy is used as a platform to confront germ/homophobia. Well, Aiken’s much-hyped appearance on Regis & Kelly last week has now reached the heights of self-parody, as evidenced on last night’s American Music Awards. Check out this clip of Clay Aiken and a pregnant Tori Spelling introducing the next act… If only to see Spelling pulling a Heidi Klum in the “looking better pregnant” department.
At a recent New York City gig, pianoman Ben Folds decided to take a break from singing about abortions long enough to punk a few thousand fans. Suck on that, ticket-buying public!
With the help of Improv Everywhere, Folds fooled a sold out Hammerstein Ballroom into thinking that he and his band had been caught lip syncing. But rather than dance off stage a la Ashlee Simpson, they came up with a much better way to get out of trouble. You know what, I’m not doing this justice. Read about the whole thing here.
Link via Stereogum
- You know America is truly screwed when the country’s Secretary of Education finishes second on Celebrity Jeopardy, losing to Lenny from Laverne and Shirley. Not so much because she lost, but is the Secretary of Education really considered a “celebrity” nowadays?
- Usher is going to be on the Weather Channel tonight. He’s there to talk about Hurricane Katrina, but we think he just wants to figure out once and for all how a green screen works.
- Emmy-winning series Arrested Development validates our jobs a little more today, as MSN will air the entire series online!
- It looks like the Revenge of the Nerds remake has been put on hold indefinitely. Pour a little ink out of your pocket protector to remember it by.
- The Horribly Awkward Michael Richards Hour keeps on keepin’ on, with this newly unearthed clip of the man wearing a $4 wig and patchy blackface in some movie called Whoops Apocalypse. We think we know where this whole “Afro-American” business stems from now.
It’s Best Night Ever for Tuesday, November 21st! Alex Blagg is here to walk you through the best of The American Music Awards!
- PERSON OF THE YEAR: Time Magazine is only weeks away from naming its coveted “Person Of The Year”, and so far, it’s shaping up to be “You.” No, seriously: YOU. So wipe the Velveeta off your face and put on your “clean” sweats… you’ve got a cover shoot to prepare for! (WWD Online)
- CATFIGHT: Justin Timberlake rags on an anonymous source in his latest tune, and some skeptics are claiming the song is slamming Janet Jackson. The song goes something like “Hey tinynose/ Hey nippleface/ Flashin yo t*tty/ Yo big ol’ breast right in my faaace…” (MSNBC’s The Scoop)
- TRANSEXUAL CHOCOLATE: Eddie Murphy claims that acting eased the pain of his divorce… well, that, and the warmth of a gigantic “woman” hand paid to stroke his shoulders in the back of a pick-up. (People Magazine)
- ROSACEA STONE: All jokes aside, WTF is wrong with Carrot Top‘s face? He’s starting to look like a Richard Simmons… but gay. (Cityrag)
- NERD SUICIDE WATCH: The newly-svelte Peter Jackson is waywayway too busy doing ab crunches to worry about making The Hobbit into a movie. In a related story, Elijah Wood‘s sex life is quoted as saying it’s “never been happier.” (E! Online)
You are about to witness the most logical thing ever uttered on The View. We still can’t figure out how that Elisabeth Hasselbeck finally got it so right!