The NY Post is reporting that, at $25 a ticket for the first ten days of its release, the film Dreamgirls will break records as the most expensive box office admission ever. As we thought 25 bucks for a Beyonce/Eddie Murphy/Jamie Foxx vehicle seemed a little steep, we did some investigating and found out exactly what every dollar of every ticket is paying for. Roll over the pie chart to find out!
Top Chef. It’s sort of like Project Runway, but for heterosexuals. Well, bi-sexuals at least. The point is this “meat & potatoes” culinary competition show is every bit as entertaining and addictive as its fabulously flamboyant, stylishly sequined Bravo counterpart. Yet for whatever reason, I never seem to hear anyone talking about it, which makes me worry that people are missing some of the best TV available right now, which is why I’ve compiled this list of 5 reasons you should be watching Top Chef:
1. The Show Is Like Porn For Your Stomach – Who cares who can design the best Futuristic Pant Suit, no real person would ever wear that sh*t. But I guarantee you that I would murder Cliff’s Fish Sticks and Mac & Cheese faster than you can say “tartar sauce”.
2. Tom Colicchio Is the Most Loveable Asshole I’ve Ever Seen – No matter how funny his voice might be, Tim Gunn is a pansy. But like a white, balding Rick James, NY restauranteur and celebrity chef Tom Colicchio has such an arrogant “I don’t give a sh*t about you” kind of attitude that you can’t help but love him. Watching my man T. Clicks relentlessly belittle the blundering chef wannabes with his passive-aggressive nature and his smug little smile is truly one of television’s great pleasures. Also, he’s an even crankier blogger than I am.
So what’d you miss while you were stuck at work today? Nothing much… except of course for the creepiest rendition of the Oscar Meyer weiner song EVER. This belongs in a horror movie as a character walks down a long and dimly lit hallway after all their friends have been murdered as they weep and wonder where the killer might jump out of next. Or it belongs on The Megan Mullally Show. Same difference, I guess.
(And now, a post brought to you courtesy of baseball innuendos, in order to deter all future columns about the two from doing the same thing.)
Yankees baseball hottie Derek Jeter has really hit it outta the park with his latest Hollywood diamond, Jessica Biel. The actress, whose generous mounds earned her the coveted Esquire‘s “Sexiest Woman Alive” award, was spotted in a squeeze play with the blue-eyed batter at L.A.’s trendy Hyde nightclub, and sources report that Derek was stealing glances as if thought were bases! And even when Jeter was approached by a group of opposing players eager to get his attention, they quickly realized they were in foul territory. The two cozied up to one another and appeared to be in prime scoring position. From the looks of it, Jeter should be handing over his bat and balls to Biel for future safekeeping. This relationship is outta the park, folks!
The Onion is one of the more credible news sources that’s covered the Britney Spears/ K-Fed split since it was announced last week. They’re so thorough, they even made a list of all the reasons the couple decided to part ways. Here are a few of them:
- Passionate fire flickered out during burping contest
- Stud contract required Federline be returned to breeder after second successful siring
- Decision made by write-in vote for Kids’ Choice Awards
Read the rest of the list here. Then, when you’re done, check out the hilarious ‘C-List Celebrity Killer’ Leaves Police Enthusiastically Guessing Who’s Next. I smell a new Celebreality show!
If there has ever been a need for the powers of our beloved Celebrity Translator, it is now, for we have stumbled upon what is perhaps some of the most challenging celebrity text we’ve thus far encountered. The NY Times did a little digging and came up with a few excerpts of the traditional wedding rites for the Church of Scientology, which I’d bet good money will also be uttered by Katie Holmes this weekend. As this text is written in both Celebrity AND Alien, we weren’t sure our Translator would be up to the challenge. But luckily, it once again failed to disappoint us.
SCI-FI CELEB GOBBLEDYGOOK: â€œNow, Tom, girls need clothes and food and tender happiness and frills, a pan, a comb, perhaps a cat. All caprice if you will, but still they need them.â€
HUMAN TRANSLATION: If you’re going to keep her locked up in the basement until another one of those pesky man-kissing rumors surfaces and you need someone to make out with in front of the paparazzi, you at least have to provide adequate food, water and clothing.
SCI-FI CELEB GOBBLEDYGOOK: â€œHear well, sweet Katie, for promise binds. Young men are free and may forget. Remind him then that you may have necessities and follies, too.â€
HUMAN TRANSLATION: He’s gay, dear.
Everybody’s second favorite* four-eyed comedienne Tina Fey dropped by The Howard Stern Show this morning for 2 reasons: 1) to promote her underrated show Studio 60**, and 2) lay the SMACK down on Paris Hilton. Apparently Paris was bitchy (and shedding, thanks to a “cheap weave”) when she hosted SNL a while back. Thankfully Cityrag was listening to Stern this morning and decided to share some of Tina’s best disses with us. Head over there now to learn more about Paris embracing her stupidity, calling Jessica Simpson “fat,” and being the horrible c**t of a human being you always knew she was. It’s reassuring, to say the least.
*I’m not sure who our favorite is. I just have a feeling Tina’s our second favorite. Not sure why. Just do.
**Or is it 30 Rock? Who knows? Who cares?
When Michael Jackson proposes marriage, he likes to bring along his ex-lovers for support.
Yes, sometimes it’s too easy. Prove it by leave your caption in the comments!
Weird Al, who has been BWE-certified as Cool Again, is back with a new video over at JibJab, this time lampooning American Idol’s captain of the Soul Patrol, Taylor Hicks, who I also found to be more than a little bit creepy. Check it out!
- Information Leafblower posted their annual list of the Top 40 American Bands. My Old Kentucky Blog has mp3s from a handful of the artists, including The Hold Steady and Girl Talk. I think that’s called synergy.
- Silversun Pickups are touring with OKGo and Snow Patrol. Before you go buy tickets, head over to Hate Something Beautiful and download a couple of tracks.
- Sixeyes has a great sixpack posted today, including songs by Tom Waits and The Lovely Feathers.
- Gorilla vs. Bear gets sad with Motown, posts tracks by Smokey Robinson and The Supremes.
- Finally, Idolator has another new Clipse track. This album is leaking so slowly it should finish trickling out sometime in 2009.