This video, submitted by garbnzgh, is exactly why we created the Drop It section. A government-sponsored anti-drug video that truly has it all: ironic Whitney Houston appearance from back in her halcyon pre-crack days, heavy-handed “danger of drugs” imagery, lots of trumpets, headbands, and the 80′s answer to all the world’s problems: pop stars singing a benefit anthem. Pull up a chair, light up a doob, and bask in all the nostalgic glory.
The weekly feature previously known as “The Friday Five”, in which we invite guests and readers to shuffle their iPods and truthfully share with us the first five resulting songs. This week, our guest shuffler is Sarah “Ultragrrrl” Lewitinn, who happens to be something of an iPod expert, seeing as how she has her own record label, contributes to SPIN Magazine, was voted (along with co-Tart of Pleasure Karen) one of NYC’s best party DJs, and published a book called “The Pocket DJ”. That’s quite a musical resume, with lots of pressure to live up to – so let’s see what she’s got:
1. “Down Again” – Foreign Islands
2. “Track 01″ – Goot (demo)
3. “You Are the Generation Who Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve” – Johnny Boy
4. “Interlude” – My Chemical Romance
5. “Flesh and Bone” – Alien Ant Farm
Damn, I was kinda hoping for a random Dave Matthews song to pop up. Anyway, we showed you ours – now show us yours in the comments!
Curious about whether or not Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros, the two stars of Lost arrested for drunk driving, will be killed off the show? Find out after the jump.
Let me start out by saying that I haven’t thought about the Teletubbies in years (since college, to be exact, when drinking in excess and watching Teletubby videos was oddly entertaining.) But even though they’re not as omnipresent as they were in the late 90′s, I still found shooting them in the head to be quite enjoyable in this Teletubbies Mercy Killing Game. Give it a go. I’m sure you will too.
- Now that the initial shock has passed and I’ve had some time to wrap my brain about the ramifications of an angry lesbian-enhanced version of The View, I remembered this recent gossip nugget. Nothing will start a morning quite like watching the Behar-Rosie tag team verbally rape Star Jones and her fake body parts.
- Accused wife-beating, hooker-killing kiddie porn enthusiast Charlie Sheen launched his new line of children’s clothing yesterday. Timing really is everything.
- The debut novel by disgraced young would-be author Kaavya Viswanathan, who recently admitted to plagairizing significant amounts of said book, has been pulled by the publisher. The poor prose burglar can’t even drink legally yet and she’s already the Milli Vanilli of publishing.
- Christina Aguilera says her new album is both “mature AND dirrty”. Kind of like Sharon Stone.
- Jennifer Lopez is getting her own reality show on MTV, follwing the pop diva as she ‘keeps it real’ in her day-to-day life. She show will be called So JLOrrible.
- Our good pal Stereogum ripped an mp3 of the White Stripes Coke commercial. Only Jack White could make selling out sound this cool.
- More White Stripes over at Another Form of Relief, where you can hear them cover “Jolene.” You can also hear The Shins cover The Postal Service, Adam Green cover The Libertines, and Beck’s cover of “Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometimes” from the Eternal Sunshine soundtrack. Great stuff all around.
- “Turn Into” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs reminds Act Up of that moment after really great sex. Give it a listen, then go smoke a cigarette.
- You have to give People of Paper props for going diverse today, posting tracks from Kanye West and Wilco.
- And finally, before you call it a day, head over to Take The Music and Run and do just that. Leave no Echo and The Bunnymen track behind.
Ever since she hooked up with Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes has been taunted, teased and mocked by the press.
Come on, we all know what’s keeping her from being taken seriously: her name. As long as she has that ‘ie’ on the end of it, people are going to make fun of her relationship and her life choices. I mean can you blame them? The name Katie is so silly. So that’s why she’ll be going by Kate from now on. Once she makes it official and becomes Kate, as reports suggest, she’ll never be the butt of another joke again.
I know it’s the weekend, and I know on the weekend you’re supposed to “spend time outdoors” and “enjoy the nice weather” and “live your life to the fullest”… and that’s fine. If you’re into that sort of thing. But if you’re not, I’m not going to judge you. If you want to spend all weekend indoors watching new episodes of Ghost Whisperer and SNL and Family Guy and Big Love, I have no problem with that. In fact, I applaud you. Screw “excercise” and “the sun” and “being social.” That stuff’s overrated.
So what are you watching this weekend? Vote now!
If not for our loyal droppers and proppers, we might have forgotten just how stir crazy dormatory living can make a person. First, Sock 21 dropped this hilarious video of a college student breaking into Broadway song in the middle of a lecture. Then boteboy0 slanged us this nice little montage of fratguys with way too much time on their hands doing “epic beer pong shots”, set to the crackin’ soundtrack of “Ain’t Nuthin’ But a G Thang”. And finally, lindsayq dropped this downright bizarre warning of the dangers of the Dave Matthews Band (more from these guys here). I mean, I knew he sucked and all, but jeez.
Remember, keep dropping us all the hilarious videos, celeb gossip, funny stories and all the other crazy sh*t on the Internet we just have to see. And if you have a blog or website, include your url in the description and we’ll link back to you!
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford has got it all: cowboys, a passionate relationship between two men, and super-duper star Brad Pitt (in stirrups no less). So it should be a hit, right? Wrong. Historically, movie titles with more than four words haven’t been successful because audiences can’t remember what it’s called and reviewers don’t want to write the whole damn thing out more than once. Check out this list of movies with long titles. You’ll find there really hasn’t been a blockbuster with a mega-title since Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to …(see I’ve already given up).
So from now on for the sake of everyone involved (but mostly me), can we just call The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The New Brad Pitt Movie? Because really, that’s what it is.
Watch the trailer here.