- My Old Kentucky Blog is celebrating his Top 25 albums of the half-year by posting an mp3 from each one. We’re talking everything from Band Of Horses to Midlake to Voxtrot to Regina Spektor and more.
- The Music Slut is celebrating a New Wave Monday with tracks by The Smiths, The Cure and New Order. What more do you need?
- If you’re a hopeless romantic you should head over to You Aint No Picasso and download “The Idea Of Growing Old” by The Features. And if you’re not, download it anyway.
- Kingblind has The Raconteurs covering Bowie, as well as tracks by Spoon and Elf Power. But you already clicked the link once you saw Raconteurs + Bowie.
- Mashups? Samples? There’s so much going on in these Girl Talk songs I don’t know what to call them. Just head over to Yeti Don’t Dance and give them a listen now.
We-he-hell. Look who’s crawlin’ back to the masses: Jennifer Aniston! We remember back to last year when the newly divorced Aniston refused to get together for a Friends reunion, citing that she wished to “distance” herself from her character, Rachel Green. For weeks, America fell to its knees, begging with a deafening insistence “Jen! Please! Come back to us! We need ya!” But she left us cold, dreaming of simpler days, days of easily-copied haircuts and wading through city fountains with our best buds.
But now, Aniston is whistling a different tune. All of a sudden, she thinks it would be “fun” to do a Friends reunion. Fun! She speculates that she might enjoy a Thanksgiving reunion. Hey, Jen, do you think we’d forget? Forget how callously you left us hanging? Why don’t you explain to the hole in my heart where you’ve been for the past two years, eh, Jennifer? How dare you toy with the hearts and souls of the American people like that? Didn’t you hear? There’s a war going on. Yeah – a war. This is no time to drop rumors that maybe you might be interested in a Friends Reunion special.
Oh God. What have we done? Jenny, baby, doll, we’re kidding! We need you. The world needs you! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be rocking myself back and forth in the corner of my bedroom crying with Matt LeBlanc.
Fans of Strangers With Candy might wonder where wacky genius Amy Sedaris came up with the ex-prostitute, ex-druggy character that is Jerri Blank. Those of you assuming Jerri was born out of sheer creative brilliance might be a little surprised to see real-life ex-prosty/druggy Florrie Fisher. In the following vintage clip, Florrie lectures high school students on the dangers of LSD, including the time she was flung off a horse and needed an emergency laminectomy, and the startling tale of a “straight-B” student nearly plunging to her death. It must be seen multiple times to be believed.
It feels like summer. It’s hot, people smell bad, and there’s not a lot on TV tonight. Yep, we’re entering those dog days, folks.
Now if you want to stay inside and enjoy your AC tonight, what’s there to watch? Well, you can’t go wrong with Hell’s Kitchen on Fox, or TNT’s Monday night lineup consisting of Saved and The Closer. ABC Family has a new episode of everybody’s favorite belly-button-less freak Kyle XY, while VH1 updates you on the wherabouts of your favorite Celebrity Fit Clubers with a special Where Are They Now? Me? I’ll be watching the new Real World/ Road Rules Challenge and Fast Inc. on MTV. What are YOU watching during this long, hot summer night? Vote now!
One of the greatest things about the Internet is all the wacky David Hasselhoff miscellany it contains. You’ll just be all clicking around, minding your own business, and suddenly – BAM! – you’re confronted with some random video you never even knew existed that features The Hoff doing something just mind-blowingly insane and Hoff-like. If only the rest of life offered the same sort of unexpected treasures….
If you thought the LA Riots were serious, think again. Or don’t think at all.
Is this movie, The L.A. Riot Spectacular really real? I mean come on; A comedy based on the 1992 LA Riots!?!? And did they really use footage of 9/11 in reverse in the trailer? Is Emilio Estevez really prominently involved? Does Michael Buffer really say “Let’s get ready to riot!!!”? The answer is Yes. Just see for yourself.
Wow. Well, it’s still not offensive as Little Man, I guess.
Despite it’s conservative spin and sensationalistic headlines, chances are you visit The Drudge Report at least semi-regularly. It’s a quick and easy way to see what’s going on in the world at any given moment. But have you ever wished that, instead of breathless headlines reporting the end of days with lots of exclamation points, the site could link to stories about ways in which the world might be changed positively, through peace and love, perhaps using the life and death of John Lennon as an exemplary model from which we might hope to learn and grow? Well thank goodness for gimmicky movie promotions, because this hippie daydream is now a reality – introducing The Grudge Report. Instant Karma’s gonna getcha!
The fine folks over at the AV Club give us a glimpse into the hard knock life of Marcello Mastroianni in their mash-up trailer for 8 1/2 Mile. Frankly, you could put Eminem‘s “Lose Yourself” over live footage of flies banging and we’d still be motivated for an intense Reebok Slide class, but still… this is pretty hilare.
1. At this very moment, Disney bosses are trying to calculate whether or not the Magic Kingdom’s Captain Eo ride could pull in this kind of cash – $62.2 million
2. I can’t decide who’s dumber: the hapless couple who can’t figure out Marlon Wayans isn’t actually an infant, or the people who went to see this who can’t figure out Marlon Wayans is actually an infant – $21.7 million
3. I don’t know about you, but me and Dupree are probably gonna skip this one – $21.3 million
4. Superman Returns, but not with profits – $11.6 million
5. The Devil might wear Prada, but Jesus only wears Land’s End – $10.5 million
Fans of Project Runway and bitchy gay guys, brace yourselves: Season 3 contestant Keith Michael, he of the face like a bird (fine, a cute bird), may have cheated on his Project Runway application. A sharp eye over at Television Without Pity notes the similarities between many of Keith’s portfolio designs compared with those of some major designers, such as Lacoste and Marni. Keith, who fulfills my longtime fantasy of Jude Law and Greg Kinnear making delicious manlove and then producing a skinny, elf-like child, won last week’s challenge with a pretty halter dress stitched out of some blue bedsheets. But according to last week’s previews, we know something major goes down on Wednesday night’s episode, as Tim Gunn‘s brows appear to knit a 13-ply cashmere cardi. (i.e. He looks pissed.) Look at these pics, then decide:
Left: Keith, Right: Giambattista Valli Spring 2006
Left: Keith, Right:Lacoste Spring 2006
Left: Keith, Right: Marni Spring 2006
And you thought Alien Basket Hats would be the highlight of the season! So whaddya think: Will Keith be “Auf’d” from this week’s episode?