The View from Yoorp has three tracks from that other Libertine, Carl Barat’s new band Dirty Pretty Things. You f**king love it.
- You Ain’t No Picasso thinks that Guillemots could be the Arcade Fire of pop music. What do you think?
- Today Mocking Music has a track from Tegan and Sarah’s old band Plunk, as well as Ted Leo’s classic cover of Kelly Clarkson’s "Since U Been Gone." If you haven’t already downloaded it, now’s your chance.
- Have you ever listened to Claire Danes’ ex-boyfriend Ben Lee? Well, you can now. Go download "Aftertaste" over at Yeti Don’t Dance.
- No Frontin’ is the place to be today, with tracks by Three 6 Mafia, Ugly Duckling, Superchunk, My Morning Jacket, and Elbow. They’re seriously not frontin’.
- Miss Jack White? Here’s another track from his side project, The Raconteurs. I miss Meg.
This week, Shakira and Wyclef’s hit song "Hips Don’t Lie" is everywhere from Verizon commercials to billboard charts. Like the title of her album "Oral Fixation" the song focuses on the Latin singer’s sensuality, in particular her battery-powered hips.
In the song, Wyclef and Shakira partake in flirty duet banter. He says,"I never really knew that she could dance like this/She makes a man wants to speak Spanish". And she says "Oh baby when you talk like that/ You make a woman go mad/So be wise and keep on/Reading the signs of my body," and three quarters through the song you really feel their chemistry and believe her hips are telling the truth.
But then Wyclef breaks out into a mysterious, politically-charged rap that makes us think he has ulterior motives besides bagging the hip-mistress. See the lyrics to his bizarre rap after the jump …
Now that you’ve trolled through the blogosphere and pored over all those breathless "ohmygod it was SO amazing you should have been there then David Bowie came out the the Smiths reunited holy moly" recaps of SXSW, BWE’s own Aziz Ansari takes a fond look back at his visit to South By Southwest, circa 1994!
There is a great radio spot for a church at AdRants. It was done by Mike McKenzie for Birmingham, AL St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church and "mirrors the tone and style of those monster truck ‘Suuuundaaaaaaay’ commercials replacing the usual auto-speak with church-speak." Ammmeeeeennnnn!
Everybody’s talking about the new F/X show Black.White. Black people are talking. White people are talking. Everybody’s talking. Well, we got our hands on a sneak preview of tonight’s episode. It’s truly riveting stuff. You can watch it right here… but first, I should warn you. The reality of the whole thing might be too much for you to handle. Good luck.
In the brand new, smoldering hot relationship between Amanda Bynes and co-star Channing Tatum, there’s no question he’s the man. But we do have another question after the jump…
Sharon Stone said she wouldn’t star in a Basic Instinct 3. Her vagina, though, said it’s open for anything.
- Pink has requested a 12-foot stripper pole be installed in her dressing room so she could give her husband a lapdance before her show. That officially makes it two performances by Pink tonight that I’m not interested in seeing.
- Pete Doherty shocked a Rolling Stone reporter by openly doing heroin, crack and ecstasy during an interview. What was the shocking part? Did he do them all at once or something? We’re talking about Pete Doherty here.
- Portia de Rossi says working on the hit show Ally McBeal drove her to anorexia. Mostly because of Calista Flockhart’s "no eating" rule.
- Rapper C-Murder has been released from prison and placed on house arrest. The judge also ordered him to change his name to C-More Daytime Television.
- A study indicates that there’s an underage sex link to the media. More specifically, to Pat O’Brien.
Tom Cruise made an appearance at the Yahoo! complex and brought along his "very pregnant" wife? girlfriend? Katie Holmes with him. Cruise said they didn’t have a name for the baby but it is due in a few weeks. Highlights included his arm-wrestling with Yahoo! CEO Terry Semel and jumping on a couch
(actually a chair, see left) while "all the women started screaming and went wild. He also babbled and said, ‘I want to know about Life. I want to know about movies.’" Don’t we all?
According to the Daily News, Kevin Costner‘s camp is "vigorously denying that the Field of Dreams star engaged in sexual self-gratification in front of a horrified masseuse at a posh Scottish golf resort." This is in response to a report that a 34-year-old massage therapist claimed that an "American A-list actor" had "dropped his towel" and performed a "’disgusting’ act in front of her." Hey, even if he did do it, at least he’s still being referred to as an A-list actor. (By the way, The Postman rules, and don’t let anyone tell you different!)
Alex Blagg? That guy totally had the Best Night Ever.