We skipped out on it last week, but you guys know the drill – every Friday we like to take a cold, hard look at exactly what happens when people press "shuffle" on their iPods. This week over at The Onion AV Club, they get into the iPod – and the mind – of hilarious writer/comedian/Daily Show personality John Hodgman. As we’re but a small comedy outpost and don’t have access to big stars like that, we’re gonna see just how cool the library of Gothamist music writer and tastemaker Jen Carlson really is.
Bottle of Blues, Beck
Blackout, British Sea Power
I Know There’s An Answer, The Beach Boys
I Think I Smell A Rat, The White Stripes
Hot Winter’s Day, Prefuse 73
Pretty cool indeed! As always, post the first five songs from your own shuffles in the comments section!
Let’s all wish T a Happy Birthday. Y? Because we love him.
If you watched Survivor: Exile Island last night, you probably think, Shane Powers is going crazy. In last night’s episode, Shane threatens to kill one of his competitors and in the previews for next week, he calls a piece of a wood his Blackberry and claims he’s communicating with people "not on this island."
But in case you’re worried, Shane’s doing just fine. In fact he’s never been better, now that he’s conceived of a way to get free publicity advice from fans. Powers, a former actor, is now trying to be an icon, with the help of a contest on his website that solicits fans to "conceive, write, photograph, video and document a marketing campaign for "Got Shane?" The Survivor contestant is already selling t-shirts with the
milk Shane campaign slogan, but it seems that Powers is planning a major media blitz in an attempt to segueway his reality show appearance into a full fledged career.
According to his website "All submitted material will be reviewed and judged by a special panel appointed by Shane Powers, and Shane himself." We’re not sure how he’s selecting the panel, but we’re certain there’s at least one house pet on board. And the grand prize for being Shane Power’s publicity director? You get your submission displayed on (drum roll) www.shanepowers.com. I’ll admit it’s so crazy it just might work. Oh wait, I was talking about the wooden blackberry.
Ah Celebrity Cooking Showdown, how we hardly knew you. You showed so much promise, with your seemingly perfect recipe for success: One part Iron Chef rip-off, one part B-list celebs displaying how inadequate they are at anything other than being on TV, one part host Alan Thicke’s rambling, scotch-soaked commentary, and of course the secret ingredient: the fact that, until now, America has proven to LOVE watching almost any mundane activity if it’s "With the Stars!". So what went wrong?
If I had to guess, I would say that it has something to do with the fact that even someone with the most inept culinary abilities could recognize that watching famous chefs hand-hold frenzied "stars" as they run around the stage bumbling their way through the preparation of fairly simple meals is not only boring, but also pretty pointless. Who cares if some daytime soap star can put together a pot roast with Wolfgang Puck walking her through the whole thing? Considering the fact that NBC pulled last night’s final episode and replaced with re-runs of Will & Grace and My Name Is Earl, the answer is pretty obvious.
Celebrity Cooking Showdown, you will certainly be forgotten, but shall never be missed. Here’s hoping that Mowing the Lawn With (Kinda-Sorta) Movie Stars will fare a little better.
He made it! Ashley Parker Angel’s single "Let U Go" earned Billboard’s highest debut this week. It’s crazy to think that singer/songwriter like Angel who came out of nowhere and worked his way up could have this big of a debut! I remember a time when he barely had enough money to pay for his pillar candle habit and his Mercedes SLR. Things were tough there, but he and wife Tif, were just innocent kids with a dream and a reality show on MTV.
On May 16th his debut album drops and fans can finally hear the breath of his solo work. I mean he put his heart and soul into (co)-writing those songs. The whole thing was like a therapy session literally. I mean he had to pay his co-writers by the hour. And now he wants the whole world to see what went into making his dream come true: hard work, determination and endless hours in front of a blue screen reacting to past moments captured by There & Back Producers. What a crazy journey to the top!
Hasbro is transforming the popular girl-group The Pussycat Dolls into actual dolls. So why would you buy a Pussycat Doll? Well
- Each doll sells for $15, which is roughly half as much as the actual Pussycat Dolls sell themselves for.
- The 12-inch figures will be decked in the Pussycat Dolls’ signature short skirts and lace tops– Not replicas, the ACTUAL short skirts and lace tops.
- Hasbro’s director of marketing says that the new dolls will "reflect the styles and fashions that are popular in the world today…" She then added, "with whores."
- Hasbro also encourages family members to be "involved in not only the doll-purchasing decision, but also in playing with the dolls." Except for that one creepy uncle. He should stay away.
- They’re marketing the doll to 6 to 9 year olds. I have a feeling the usage of those two numbers is not a coincidence.
- The PCD’s biggest song "Don’t Cha" contains the lyrics "I know you want it/ it’s easy to see/ And in the back of your mind/ I know you should be f**king me." Awesome! Now replace "f**king" with "buying" and you have yourself one catchy little jingle.
I’m going out and buying myself a Pusscat Doll doll the day they come out. It’s all the fun of an actual Pussycat Doll, with half the disease! Order now!
With this week’s big staff shake-up at the White House, President Bush might be on the look-out for some new speechwriters. Judging by the work of these elementary students, whose presidential speeches are read (hilariously) by a professional Bush impersonator, Bush might actually benefit from getting some…younger blood into the Oval Office.
Yesterday, Will Smith visited Jerusalem’s Western Wall and crashed Atir Cohen’s passage from boy to man. While to 13 year old Cohen who got to take a picture with Smith after he rolled up his Torah, it was the best bar mitzvah ever. Which got us thinking what are some of the best bar mitzvah’s ever? Here’s a list of our top five:
5. Sasha Dominguez, rented a Ferrari Spider, a hummer and a jet ski and filmed 27 hours of a Mission Impossible-inspired movie about her Bat Mitzvah.
4. Sarah Gold, Ari Gold’s daughter in the HBO show Entourage, had a lavish Beverly Hills style event with hot superstar guests like Vincent Chase (who Sarah even got to dance with!) But the best part was garnering nominal affection from her dad.