Katie Holmes is the luckiest girl in the world. She gets to have a baby with dreamy movie hunk Tom Cruise and what’s more she’s got a fabulous spread at an undisclosed location where she spends most of the day trying on pretty silver bracelets that are attached to the wall.
Who didn’t love Curious George as a kid? I did, and apparently so did Jack Johnson. The most laid-back-surfer-dude ever took care of the soundtrack to the new animated film, and he covered the White Stripes in the process. Now that’s cool.
I was feeling a little down after finishing a biography of Edmund Wilson, so I dug out my old obscure country records to cheer myself up. One of the records I heard was Loretta Lynnâ€™s â€œCoal Minerâ€™s Daughter.â€ As I got wrapped up in the story, I realized, â€œThis would make a great movie!â€ They make movies based on TV shows, so why not a song? I even thought of who could play Lynn: Sissy Spacek. Obviously she can act, but sheâ€™s also made a country album. Plus, she looks a lot like Lynn (see picture above). Seems like a no-brainer to me.
- Rocker Pete Doherty has been sentenced to one year of community service for possession of drugs. But don’t worry; he believes that if he gets high enough it’ll only feel like a couple of weeks.
- Paris Hilton has been issued a restraining order to stay away from a 37-year-old event planner. Now if only somebody could issue her a restraining order to stay away from cameras.
- Angelina Jolie has supposedly asked a past lesbian lover to be the godmother of her children. If there’s only one story this year that bridges the gap between the old scary/sexy Angelina and the new motherly/humanitarian Angelina, it’s this one.
- President Bush wants the cartoon violence to end. Hagar The Horrible responds, "No dice."
- Simon Cowell says he’d sleep with Paula Abdul to "relieve the tension." In other news, Simon Cowell is horrible at foreplay.
- The Rolling Stones are pissed that they were censored at the Super Bowl. Seattle fans eagerly try to find a way to blame that on the referees as well.
According to CNN, a chicken was revived by mouth to beak resuscitation after being found floating face-down in a pond. Marian Morris said she hadn’t had any practice with CPR in years, but she was interested to see if she "still had it."
According to the chicken, she never lost it.
n. Greek & Roman Mythology.
A three-headed dog guarding the entrance to Hades.
According to the New York Daily News, Ludacris is joining the Dick Wolf empire:
Chris (Ludacris) Bridges is the latest familiar face set to pass through "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit." The hip-hop artist will appear in an upcoming episode of Dick Wolf’s popular NBC series playing Detective Fin’s (Ice-T) nephew. "I have been a fan of Dick Wolf’s ‘Law & Order’ for a long time," said Bridges in a statement. "When I was approached to work on ‘SVU’ and read the script, there was no way that I could turn down this amazing opportunity. The character was so rich and the story line so complex that I knew it was something I had to do."
From the AP:
Bill Nye is no longer the Single Guy. Nye, who hosted the
educational PBS series "Bill Nye, the Science Guy" during its nine-year
run, married his fiance Blair Tindall last Friday, it was announced
50-year-old, bow-tied Nye and Tindall, author of "Mozart in the Jungle"
and a former concert oboist, exchanged vows at a conference where Nye
They were married by the Rev. Rick Warren, pastor and author of "The
Purpose-Driven Life." Cellist Yo Yo Ma, accompanied by MIT Media Lab
Professor Michael Hawley on the piano, performed a wedding march.
Is anyone else thinking of the pool scene in Real Genius?
I just saw a promo for Fear Factor: Freaks and Geeks. So let me get this straight: The network that canceled one of the best shows ever (Freaks and Geeks) is using the name of that show to get people to watch one of the lamest and most exploitative shows ever? Now that’s classy!