GvB has a nice little Beck cover of Nick Drake/Volkswagon’s classic, Pink Moon.
- Yay! A new Ambulance LTD track from You Ain’t No Picasso!
- Fluxblog has live cuts from The New Pornographers and Belle & Sebastian, who are currently touring the US together.
- A couple of eclectic freak-pop tracks from Love Is All and Wooden Wand & the Vanishing Voice over at Said the Gramophone.
- It’s Friday, so head on over to Sixeyes and rip open a six-pack of preview tracks from SXSW bands.
- For those of you who were digging Jon Brion in yesterday’s post, head over to The Rawking Refuses to Stop for some more of my favorite troubador – this time covering Elliot Smith!
- A date was set in the slander case brought against Paris Hilton by diamond heiress Zeta Graff. Not the greatest news for her, but at least Graff didn’t do voodoo on her as she had feared.
- Kid Rock says Scott Stapp is an "idiot" for losing their sex tape. Wow, being called an idiot by Kid Rock. It is indeed good to be the king.
- The headmaster of Michele Williams‘ former school (Santa Fe Christian) is upset at her because her work "doesn’t represent the values of this institution." He’s making her come to school for five Saturdays as punishment.
- Leonard Cohen won $9.5 million in a lawsuit against his former business manager. I bet you never knew there is so much money in being a depressing Canadian poet/songwriter.
- Scarlett Johansson is willing to forgive Isaac Mizrahi for groping her on the red carpet at the Golden Globe Awards. Mizrahi responded, "Really? What panties was she wearing?"
- While Cameron Diaz is off filming a movie, Justin Timberlake "appears to be living the single life," but friends say the long leash is one of the keys to their relationship’s success. It’s amazing how easy it is to stay together when you’re apart.
Check out this hilarious clip of Triumph doing what he does best: being really, really insulting.
According to techie experts, there is a new virus infiltrating emails offering nude pictures of Paris Hilton. Called Bagle-do, the worm prompts readers to open the file promising a glimpse at the celebrity, but then infects their computer and potentially others who receive emails from that computer. The highly contagious virus spreads quickly from email to email, but often it’s symptoms are undetectable. And while there’s no cure, Valtrex does help reduce sypmtoms.
Here’s what Grey’s Anatomy writer Krista Vernoff had to say on the show’s blog about American Idol contestant Kevin Covais:
WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT KEVIN COVAISâ€™ SPEECH IMPEDIMENT? Seriously, how are you supposed to have a professional singing career when you sound like this: â€œYou should have told me yourthelf, that you loved thomeone elth, insthead I heard it through the grapevineâ€¦â€??? He is sweet kid â€“ even a talented singer, but seriously!
Now I see why all the patients on Grey’s Anatomy have ridiculous diseases: The writers think that disabilities are something to make fun of. Nice job, Krista!
American Idol’s final 12 contestants are getting their very own MySpace profiles. The contestants who were kicked off? Dismissed to Friendster.
- Jessica Alba will not let this whole Playboy thing go. Now she’s demanding they pull the magazine. Unfortunately it’s too late, as thousands of teenage boys have already pulled themselves.
- Bon Jovi is accusing Franz Ferdinand of ripping off his style. I don’t know about you, but I always get the two confused. Now I know why.
- 58-year-old James Woods is dating his buddy’s 19-year-old daughter. The friend is said to be okay with it, except when they rent American Beauty and say, "Oh my god, that is SO us!"
- Madonna is looking to buy a house in Israel where she can await the Messiah. I guess he owes her money or something.
- Kid Rock is dating a porn star. Sorry, that was supposed to read: Kid Rock is dating another porn star.
Ozzy Osbourne has offered to save Pete Doherty from his drug addiction. While the aging rocker is famous for his bouts with excessive booze and drugs, he’s reportedly cleaned up his act in the past few years thanks to a radical detox treatment, more powerful than any rehab center or methadone clinic. His secret? wife Sharon. Ozzy claims Sharon is great at cleaning up drug-addled rockers and he really thinks Doherty should give her a try. He also mentioned his price is negotiable.
Yesterday we learned the dangers of talking bad about Joe Rogan on his MySpace page. But of course, Joe isn’t the first person to get dragged into a flame war, and I’ve collected five of my favorite online battles from the past:
- The Grungies This was an email exchange between Judd Apatow (Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared) and Mark Brazill (That ’70s Show). Brazill was angry about something to do with Topher Grace, but then he accuses Apatow of stealing one of his ideas. Best quote: Get cancer.
- The Bla Bla Bla: William Korman got angry at Dianna L. Abdala because she notified him by e-mail that she didn’t want to work for him. Her reason: ”The pay you are offering would neither fulfill me nor support the lifestyle I am living." Best quote: bla bla bla
- The Ham Sandwich Two secretaries lost their jobs because they got into an online fight about a ham sandwich. Best quote: Let’s not get person [sic] "Miss Can’t Keep A Boyfriend".
Don’t forget to join our YouTube group, because you’ve been forgetting things lately. Things like joining stuff.
- POET: Jessica Simpson. She has been writing poetry since her breakup with Nick Lachey and plans to publish her work. (Contact Music)
- THE OTHER SHOE FALLING: Producers of Crash. Now that the movie is being recognized by the Academy, everyone’s fighting for the credit and money. (New York Times)
- MOVIE MADE IN TWO HOURS AND FOURTEEN MINUTES: Atbhutam. An Indian film maker finished the 74-minute feature, loosely based on Terri Schiavo’s right-to-die battle, in 2:14. (Reuters)
- PEZ DISPENSER: Brokeback Mountain. (Ebay via D Listed)
- THURSDAY PIE BLOGGING FROM AN
OBSOLETESTILL THRIVING BLOG: Greenwoodâ€™s Holy Sh*t Chocolate by Gawd Cream Pie (Blog d’Elisson)
- IRONIC HEIMLICH: John Giannetti. The state senator saved the life of a choking man who turned out to be his political rival, Jim Rosapepe. (CNN)
- K-FED HEAD SHAKER: "My wife is fat" edition. Britney was out the other night and this is reportedly what a waiter said: "I’m sorry, Ms. Spears, but your husband called here a few minutes ago and told us you weren’t allowed to have dessert. In fact, we’ve been told that no one at the table can have dessert–because you’ll eat it." This can’t be true. Please tell me this can’t be true. (I Don’t Like You That Way)