You may recall that back in 2009, Bret Michaels and the rest of Poison played a Rock of Ages tribute at the Tony Awards that ended badly when a set piece fell on Michaels’ head. He was sent to the hospital for stitches and treatment for a broken nose as a result of the mishap. Well, nearly two years later, Michaels is suing CBS and the Tonys. His lawyer, Alex Weingarten explains “The Tony Awards dropped a piece of the stage on Bret’s head, and then instead of doing the right thing, joked about it and played it off for ratings … Bret never wanted to file a lawsuit, but the Tony Awards have left us with no choice. They must be held accountable for almost killing Bret, and that is what we are going to do.”
Sure, a few stitches doesn’t sound serious or like Bret was “almost killed,” but the suit alleges that the head trauma he suffered could very possibly be a cause for the brain hemorrhage he suffered in 2010. Bret claims he asked for direction on how to exit the stage after his performance and “was just told to walk off the rear of the stage — in what was ultimately the danger zone” where the piece of scenery slammed into him.
Back in 2009, Michaels wrote, “I am trying to remain very positive and somewhat humorous about the whole situation. …Over the last few days a lot of speculation as to what happened and who is to blame have surfaced. I need to make clear at no point since the incident occurred do I feel like the accident was malicious in any way and I feel this will all work itself out. However I must state I found it a little strange that the only statement released by the Tony organization was that I missed my mark and that I was completely fine.” Unfortunately, it seems like the humor of the situation has been lost and it’s time to take action. He is seeking unspecified damages.
[Photo: Getty Images]
What is it with celebrities and getting belligerently drunk on planes? Just sit down and watch eight episodes of Grounded for Life like the rest of us. The advice comes a little too late for Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who faces a lawsuit over a drunken airport rant. United Airlines employee Kathryn Williams alleges that the Tutors star “assaulted, battered and verbally abused her after being barred from stepping on an early morning flight” last May. While the original story mentioned Rhys Meyers shouting the n-word in the airport, no mention was made of physical assault. That being said, Jonathan punched a Parisian airport employee in 2009. So, if you needed another reason to pull the emergency slide once you see the B-list British actor staggering down the aisle toward you, now you have it.
Williams is seeking more than $15,000 and claims that “The defendant committed tortuous acts consisting of verbally and physically abusing plaintiff causing her to sustain physical injuries and severe emotional distress,” leaving Williams unable to do her job. The actor is currelty banned from United Airlines. Rhys Meyers attended rehab immediately after the incident, though it was not his first stint in treatment. We hope Jonathan’s last trip helped; if not, soon he’ll be renting a jet-ski to get to press junkets.
[Photo: Getty Images]
Whether Mel Gibson pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery on Friday to protect his kids from the embarrassment of a trial or save his film career, it’s pretty clear he’ll go apocalpyto on anyone who tries to drag him back into court. When word got out over the weekend that ex-girlfriend/battery victim Oksana Grigorieva was planing a civil suit against Gibson, TMZ sources made it clear that he would return the gesture in kind, with Mel counter-suing for extortion.
While it’s noteworthy that the state has yet to charge Oksana for allegedly demanding millions to keep violent, racist audio tapes of Mel from the public, Mel was also only charged for the slapping incident he’d previously confessed to—not for Oksana’s more dramatic claims of abuse. With Mel allegedly uninterested in settling out of court, even hoping to remove Oksana’s custody of their daughter Lucia, it looks like that long, drawn-out court case he wanted to avoid could happen after all.
[Photo: Getty Images]
It turns out that acting a fool on Twitter not only immediately let’s people know you’re a jerk; it can also cost you close to a half mil. Allegedly Courtney Love must pay $430,000 in a Twitter defamation case brought against her by designer Dawn Simorangkir. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Love reached a settlement with Simorangkir that will have the former Hole singer making payments out the wazoo until 2014. The dust-up began when Love went on a 20 minute tweet tirade in 2009, which included calling Simorangki an “a–wipe nasty lying nosebag thief.” You can be sued for that? That seems a bit harsh. Who’d have though you could be taken to court over things you’d write inside your high school Burn Book?
Love has already shut down her Twitter, despite the many delicious scandals it gave us in the past few years. Remember when Love tweeted a nude photo of herself? Ah, memories. “The amount of the settlement says it all,” said the designer’s attorney Bryan Freedman. “Her reprehensible defamatory comments were completely false and $430,000 is quite a significant way to say I am sorry. One would hope that, given this disaster, restraint of pen, tongue and tweet would guide Ms. Love’s future conduct.” Let’s just hope Courtney deleted all of her tweets while she was at it. Something tells us there’s probably enough ammunition there to clean out every bank account she has.
[Photo: Getty Images]
Ke$ha might have weathered spooge-filled photos and a constant case of glitter rash (we assume), but Ke$ha being sued by her former managers for $14 million might be the only scandal she can’t weasel her way out of with a wink and a festive Native American headdress. Sniped the singer’s ex reps DAS Communications, the spastic singer “is a very young and inexperienced artist whose ‘star’ may not continue to rise,” and then how would they get their millions? Hey! Don’t talk about our girl that way. We feel like Ke$ha is our mom in this case; only we’re allowed to talk trash about her.
Given that girl is on the way to number one hit in the UK with “We R Who We R,” we think her former managers are selling Ke$ha a little short. “Although she has made an incredible amount of money in a very short period of time, in large part due to DAS’ efforts on her behalf, she could just as easily lose money if not properly guided,” the suit warns. Meanwhile the singer has countersued DAS for being “illegal talent agent.” We almost wish Ke$ha would bottom out and lose all her dough, just so these jokers can’t take her millions. Then again, that attitude is probably why we’ll never be internationally famous pop superstars.
[Photo: Getty Images]
If this isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t the ultimate “DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t Date Him, Girl” story, we donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know what is. Apparently the girlfriend of JLoÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s ex-husband Ojani Noa Claudia Vasquez is seeking a restraining order against Jennifer Lopez. Vasquez is reportedly filing for the order today to facilitate a planned television project about the America Idol judge. If granted the restraining order, Vasquez can lobby to have it made permanent, a move that could potentially hinder JLo’s ability to stop production from continuing.Ã‚Â Given that Vasquez and Ojani have attempted to make public video of Lopez flashing strangers on a scooter, somethingÃ‚Â tells us that JLo would sooner destroy television as we know it than let these two use her image in anything.Ã‚Â So enjoy those episode ofÃ‚Â Modern Family while you can!
In the meantimeÃ‚Â Vasquez is also suing Lopez for $10 million for stopping production of a movie which, surprise!, also has Jennifer Lopez (and possibly her lady business) as it’s subject matter.Ã‚Â ”If Jennifer Lopez loses, it will be catastrophic for her, and will also completely disprove J.Lo’s case against Ojani and I,” said Ojani’s managerÃ‚Â Ed Meyer, also at the receiving end of Lopez’s attempts to stop production of the film. Um, we’ve never been to law school, but we’re pretty sure there’s a case to be made against your ex’s girlfriend releasing video of your hoo-ha. Right? If not, we have to meet with our attorney immediately.
Hopefully it’ll be an even more joyous holiday for the Lovato family now that Demi Lovato settled with dancer Alex Welch, whom Lovato punched while both girls were working on the Camp Rock 2 tour. “The parties are satisfied and the dispute has been resolved amicably and completely,” said Welch’s attorney Donald Karpel, who also told Radar Online “It was confidential negotiations that ended in complete and amicable resolution. She is satisfied.” Head bruises fade, but a big fat settlement is forever!
Welch’s lawyer declined to specify the amount of the settlement, but had previously indicated that Welch was “seeking aÃ‚Â a settlement, an apology from Demi and a donation made to a charity of her choice.” If only Demi could have donated straight to Toys for Tots and just cut out the middleman. Lovato will be spending the holidays and New Year’s Eve in rehab, where she’s been receiving treatment since November 1. At least now there’s nothing distracting Demi from her recovery. Besides 24 hours of A Christmas Story, of course.
Remember when Kevin Costner sold an oil filtering device to BP during the crisis in the Gulf, thereby redeeming the existence of Waterworld? Apparently the story is even more ridiculous then we knew—Stephen Baldwin is accusing Costner of tricking him out of his cut of the profits! Soak that in: there is a white collar fraud lawsuit between Stephen Baldwin and Kevin Costner over an oil spill disaster that actually happened. Not one in a scrapped Wolfgang Petersen film from 1995, but a real one earlier this year. Are you shuddering? We’re shuddering.
Baldwin says that he became a 10% investor in Costner’s creation last April, only to be coerced into selling his shares back by false information that The Postman had bolted from the company. They also allegedly kept news of the BP sale from him, denying him a slice of the $50 million plus they netted. Who knew these Celebrity Apprentice guys actually kept in the game after being fired by Donald? And who knew that Costner, Prince Of Scarves was such a crafty businessman himself?
[Photos: Getty Images]
If celebrity feuds were sequels, Ojani Noa‘s attacks on ex-wife Jennifer Lopez would longer have numbers, instead getting names like Ojani Vs. J. Lo: Requiem. The novelty of his franchise’s latest entry? This time the unstoppable destroyer is…a woman! Claudia Vasquez, Ojani’s girlfriend of over a decade, is suing J. Lo for $10 million accusing the new American Idol judge of standing in the way of the movie she and Ojani are producing—a movie that just happens to include footage of J. Lo flashing her crotch in Cuba. What a spoilsport!
“We believe that this entire lawsuit against Ojani and I over the Movie and the ‘Sex Tapes’ Home Videos centers around Jennifer Lopez’s hatred for Ojani Noa dating Claudia Vazquez,” said one of the film’s producers, accusing Lopez of calling her a “whore” on Unvision and basically being unpleasant ever since she walked in on Vasquez and Noa having sex about a decade ago (Lopez was dating Ben Affleck at the time, so she couldn’t have been too aggrieved). We’re guessing the superstar won’t have any trouble swatting this suit down, but we can’t wait to hear what’s in store for Ojani Vs. J. Lo: Generations.
As if their outfits weren’t enough, the Black Eyed Peas have embarrassed themselves in a totally new way. News on the street is that the Black Eyed Peas are being sued by George Clinton of Parliament-Funkadelic fame for sampling his 1979 song “(Not Just) Knee Deep” for remixes of a Peas tune. The suit names Fergie and Will.I.Am, as well as their label, for sampling the Clinton song in a remix of “Shut Up” from their 2003 album “Elephunk,” and on a remix featured on the deluxe addition of their 2009 album “The E.N.D.” Hmm, maybe the lawsuit will inspire Will.I.Am to write a really dark, moody concept album about dealing with the legal system. Oh, and getting crunk, of course.
Unfortunately for the Fergie and the gang, Clinton alleges that they didn’t just use the hook without permission, which would have been a jerk move in and of itself. No, the singer says that when producers tried to obtain rights to use the song in 2009, he expressly turned them down. On top of that, Clinton says his signature was forged on the release form and he has never seen a dime in the form of payment. Let’s hope the Peas don’t have beef with all of the artists they’ve sampled, or else they’ll be sued approximately 1 billion times. [Photo: Getty Images]