I have fond memories of sitting at home in suburbia on a weekend afternoon, as glamazon Cindy Crawford introduced me to the world of fashion on MTV’s House of Style. For some of us, it was a completely new thing to see what went into runway shows and photo shoots and the trends that eventually wound up in the mall. These days, the ins and outs of fashion are part of the fabric of pop culture. It feels like we’re constantly seeing models backstage and hearing designers talk about their inspirations. But that absolutely does not make the revival of HoS redundant. The series premiered online this morning (and will air on TV on December 1). Here’s why you should watch!
1. Hosts Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss are not just fashion insiders, they’re fans, and their enthusiasm as they get to walk the runways in Paris is infectious.
2. The designers that talk to them — in this episode, Stella McCartney and Jean Paul Gaultier — are the biggest in the biz, and they love Karlie and Joan right back.
3. We also get up close and personal with the models, and learn about their insecurities growing up. Joan revealed that to hide her skinny legs growing up, she used to wear two pairs of sweat socks — even in the heat of Puerto Rico. (Phew! Thank god, I’ve never had that problem.)
4. We see a few fun tricks and secrets of the runway shows — like how hairpieces were attached to hats for the Gaultier show to make their quick changes easy.
5. The preeeettty clothes. I will take one of everything from the Stella show, please. I’m happy to admire the outrageous ’80s pop-inspired fashions from Gaultier from afar, however. Also, Karlie makes an excellent Boy George.
Can’t wait to see episode 2, ladies!