Usher and his ex-wife Tameka Foster Raymond had such a notoriously rocky relationship, the only surprising thing about their rumored custody battle is that it took over two years for them to come to a stand-off. Oh, and the fact that Tameka specifically cited Usher’s cancellation of her Saks Fifth Avenue card in her legal filings, according to TMZ. Our eyebrows lifted ever so slightly at that one.
More importantly, however, the court documents filed by the singer’s ex this weekend in Georgia requested full custody of their two sons, alleging that Usher failed to be an adequate parenting partner in a variety of ways, including getting Tameka’s approval before hiring nannies, denying her adequate vacation time with their boys and probably just existing in general. In case you forgot all the ups and downs (predominantly downs) of Usher’s two year marriage, let us refresh your memory as to why this almost inevitable custody battle should be a surprise to no one, especially not Usher:
- May 2007: Usher lets go of his mother Jonetta Patton from her role as his manager. Nothing too out of the ordinary, until…
- July 28, 2007: Usher and Tameka cancel their wedding the morning of the event amid rumors that Usher’s mother is against the marriage. To quote a very wise woman, something in the milk ain’t clean.
- August 3, 2007: Usher and Tameka tie the knot, for better or for worse.
- November 26, 2007: Usher Raymond V enters the world.
- December 10, 2008: Lil’ Naviyd Ely Raymond is born.
- February 2009: Tameka ends up in the hospital after medical complications following plastic surgery in Brazil. Not related to their marriage in any way, just … ugh.
- June 12, 2009: Usher files for divorce, indicating that the couple has been “continuously lived in a bona fide state of separation” since July 2008.
- July 2009: Tameka claims to be shocked by Usher’s move to file to divorce since they were “intimately together as husband and wife as recently as June 6.” Wow, things must have really gone south in those six days. Also, ugh.
- September 2009: Usher calls 911 to imply that Tameka allegedly keyed his car.
- March 2011: An alleged Usher sex tape co-starring Tameka surfaces, then quickly, mercifully re-submerges.
- November 2011: Tameka wants full custody of those kids!
[Photo: Splash News Online]