It’s the one things celebrities love to do besides not eating and squeezing into debatably gorgeous gowns – partying hard, Lindsay Lohan style. Every star in town hit up as many Oscar parties as possible last night – Nicole Richie was out until 4am at a private bash, while Reese Witherspoon and boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal hit up the annual Vanity Fair shindig.
We’ve got all the party pics below, so you can check out who looks the most sloshed and who actually woke up today without a hangover.
Isn’t chugging back two glasses of white wine and weeping through the entire Academy Awards fun? At least it was for us last night, when we started sniffling during Dustin Lance Black‘s touching acceptance speech and didn’t stop for hours. Here are our Top Tearjerker Moments that warmed our hearts and wet our eyes. Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments below.
- Dustin Lance Black‘s acceptance speech for Best Original Screenplay – The Milk writer spoke of his admiration for his subject and included this tear-inducing message: “I think he’d [Harvey Milk] want me to say to all the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures who have value. And that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you.”
- Heath Ledger‘s win for Best Supporting Actor – we knew this would make us cry, but Heath’s family even got stoic robot Angelina Jolie to shed a precious tear! That feat alone deserves an award.
- Slumdog Millionaire‘s AR Rahman winning back to back Oscars for Best Original Score and Best Song – Beside being all sorts of adorable, he dropped this precious tearjerker tidbit in his speech: “All my life I’ve had a choice of hate and love. I chose love, and I’m here.”
- Queen Latifah‘s awkward singing during the In Memoriam tribute didn’t make us crying, but remembering Bernie Mac and that dude from Jaws sure did.
- Kate Winslet‘s father whistling at her during her acceptance speech for Best Actress – Not only was it adorable and sweet, but he turned out to just be some regular old dude in a weird hat. Goofy dads always get to us!
What are two spotlight-adoring lovebirds to do when the Academy doesn’t want them making out on its red carpet? Straddle each other on the beach, of course!
Brody Jenner and his Playmate girlfriend Jayde Nicole soaked in the sun on the beaches of Hawaii this weekend and rubbed each other down with love suntan lotion — all in plain sight of paparazzi lenses. We’re sure Brody forgot all about the sand getting down his extra long shorts when Jayde was sitting on top of him.
The only predictions Scandalist got wrong for this year’s Oscars (we didn’t pretend to know about crap like Best Documentary – Short Subject) were Best Actor and Best Actress. Plenty of people thought Mickey Rourke would beat Sean Penn, but why did we think Anne Hathaway would beat Kate Winslet? Because we didn’t think Kate was old enough to get the “throw her a golden boy while we still can” award. Sure, it took four lead actress nominations over an entire decade before Kate finally took home a trophy, but Al Pacino had to wait through twenty years of ceremonies until his sixth lead nomination to win for Scent Of A Woman. Like Al, maybe Kate can focus on crappy detective movies for the rest of her life.
Here are some other details about last night’s winners, losers and presenters you might not have known.
- While Meryl Streep has two Oscars to her name, she must be getting a little frustrated with the ceremony all the same. She last won for 1983’s Sophie’s Choice, and she’s been nominated a whopping eleven times since. We’re sure she’s gracious to all these young ladies bawling over their first Oscar, but that’s twenty five years of “thank you”‘s she’s had to toss.
- Anthony Hopkins mentioned working with Brad Pitt on Legends Of The Fall during the Best Lead Actor presentation (though he didn’t say the movie’s name), but when Robert DeNiro paid tribute to Sean Penn, he failed to bring up 1989’s We’re No Angels, the flop comedy that first brought the pair together. Future Academy Award nominee John C. Reilly also appeared in the film, playing a “Young Monk.”
Last night’s Academy Awards were apparently a hit – as 6% more people tuned in this year (as opposed to last) to be called “commie, homo-loving sons of guns” by Sean Penn. Trust us, it was worth it!
There were other highlights besides Penn’s gracious acceptance speech, including the “Jai Ho” musical number, Jennifer Aniston‘s awkward presenting work, and Ben Stiller mocking Joaquin Phoenix. Check out our massive gallery of the show’s best moments below.
Oscars…whatever, man. Matthew McConaughey has a People’s Choice Award and an MTV Movie Award, but the bro has never seen no love from the Oscars. Not even for Amistad. Snubbed yet again despite striking performances in Fool’s Gold, Tropic Thunder and Surfer, Dude, Mateo spent last night enjoying the topless Samba dancers at Rio De Janeiro’s Carnival, Brazil’s biggest, most bombastic annual event. Kevin Spacey and Gisele Budchen also skipped the Hollywood ass-smooch to take in the festivities.
Naturally, Matt went for a shirtless jog on the beach before last night’s revelry. Check out his vacation from the unappreciative movie industry in the gallery below.
[Photos: Splash News Online]
Needless to say, last night was not the first time Sophia Loren attended the Academy Awards. The Italian won Best Actress for 1960’s Two Women (the first major award for a non-English performance) and received an Honorary Oscar for her contribution to world cinema in 1991, but she’s dazzled fans at ceremonies before, between and after these accolades. Who knows? The 74-year-old, who promised to striptease for her favorite Italian soccer team two years ago, might be back soon. Check out some of her greatest ensembles in the gallery below.
[Photo: Time & Life/Getty Images]
In case you missed every tabloid’s frantic reporting, Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie were – gasp! – in the same room last night for over three hours! Luckily the world didn’t implode from their meeting, and we’re here this morning picking apart their Oscar fashion choices and wondering which of Brad Pitt‘s ladies brought it on the red carpet (‘It’ refers to style – not John Mayer).
Jen did her usual ‘California casual elegance’ thing, while Angie was dramatic and daring in a black gown with bold jewels. But whose outfit made you swoon? Make your opinion heard – and peep pics of all the best red carpet moments in our gallery below! [Photos: GettyImages]
Our news team was in Hollywood Sunday night. From Sarah Jessica Parker to Anne Hathaway, here’s some of the celeb action they discovered on the Oscars red carpet.
Check out lots of Oscar photo galleries, fashion news, winner’s list, and celeb gossip.
Check our news report on Slumdog Millionaire‘s sweep, and wins by Sean Penn and Penelope Cruz.
Watch more video news clips about the Oscars, the Grammys, the Fray and other subjects.
Bitter exes are nothing new for up-and-coming stars. Unsurprisingly, the widely-reported ditched ex-fiance of Oscar-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire star Freida Pinto has sold his story for a bucketload of cash and poured his heart out to the British tabloids. However, unlike the usual warts-and-all tales of sexual deviancy, cheating allegations and bad behavior, poor old Rohan Antao’s revelations are a little more sedate. He tells the News of the World:
- After meeting in 2007: “We spent all our time together, just the two of us. We were a modern couple, so we didn’t need a chaperone.” Oooh!
- On their physical relationship: “Her embrace was amazing and you could forget about all your worries. That’s what I loved about her the most. There’s more, but we’re private people and that’s between her and me.” Oh.
- On his growing anger with Freida and co-star Dev Patel: “I asked Freida to spend less time with Dev, but she refused. She was comfortable with him, and we were talking over the phone less and less. I was ticked off with Dev-and her.” Ticked off! Get that.
- On their relationship now: “She is infatuated with Dev. I don’t know if they were having a sexual relationship but if I came face to face with him I would have things to say.” Grrr!
Bless. Actually, it’s nice to read a kiss-and-tell from an ex that neither kisses nor really tells very much either. At least we haven’t come away feeling dirty and can look at their cute Oscar photos with innocence still intact.