When word first started to spread last week that Channing Tatum would be named People’s Sexiest Man Alive this year, the collective response seemed to be, “Well, duh.” This is not one of the mag’s more controversial choices, for sure. But because we are journalists (for real!) we thought we’d delve a little into why the Magic Mike star is such an obvious choice. We came up with 10 reasons for you. Feel free to tell us your own!
10. He told wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum about his new title while they were bathing their skunked dogs. We think this means it’s not going to his head, or something.
9. While he’s undeniably hot, he also has such an everyman quality to his looks and attitude that he makes guys feel like they could be him and ladies feel like they could be with him. That’s rare in a Hollywood heartthrob.
8. He’s still ambitious and plans to try his hand at directing soon, possibly working up to directing Magic Mike 2.
7. He’s into making dude films as much as indies and rom-coms. See: G.I. Joe, The Vow, 10 Years, the possible Evel Knievel flick.
6. He’s so the opposite of homophobic, he got his grind on with Elton John. And later told Out magazine that getting groped by Sir Elton was “Like any other hand up my ass, but more knightly. I can check that box now. It falls under the umbrella of doing sexual sh– with Elton John in public.”
Ugh, this is like the 2008 elections all over again, except without the indelible historical consequences. WE HOPE. Having been named People‘s Sexiest Man Alive last month, Bradley Cooper appeared on Britain’s The Graham Norton Show to acknowledge what the majority of America seem to believe: Ryan Gosling is even sexier than he. “It’s so awful that I’m admitting this, but the hell with it: There was such a backlash when they announced it. Ryan Gosling, who I love, and I just made a movie with him and he’s the greatest,” Bradley says, remarking of recent paparazzi photos: “He literally looks like he’s in a photo shoot, like he just came off the runway. The peacoat is like this, with the scarf! And then there’s ones of me, and I literally look like the neighbor who never comes out of his house.” So what happens to the universe when the Sexiest Man Alive has his own Sexiest Man Alive? We feel like a wormhole might open up. On the other side of that wormhole? George Clooney, rubbing his hands together and biding his time.
At last night’s party for the GQ Men of the Year, our friends over at MTV News asked a very important question: Who would win in a fight, GQ’s Men or People’s Sexiest Men?
“I’ll take on the whole entire cast of Parks and Recreation. I’ll leave Justin [Timberlake] to take care of Glee and Jimmy Fallon could karate-chop the rest of those guys,” GQ honoree Jay-Z joked. And Joe Manganiello, who made People’s list of 25 Sexy Chests to Be Thankful For (amen!), had the most brilliant idea: “I think we should do it for charity!”
While we get in line for tickets to that one (please, powers that be, make it happen!), let’s take a look at some of the hottest fashions on display at last night’s festivities, from men (the likes of Kellan Lutz, Armie Hammer and Josh Hutcherson) and women (Minka Kelly, Sarah Silverman, Emma Roberts and more).
Aw, remember when Bradley Cooper was just a sweet newspaper reporter with an unrequited crush on his superspy best friend? We doubt Alias‘ Will would believe today’s news — that Brad is People‘s Sexiest Man Alive — but the rest of us aren’t so surprised. Especially not those of us who saw this video of him speaking French. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdsoFZxk7DU Just don’t forget those of us who loved you way back when!
The rest of the People list includes an eclectic, but undeniably hot mix of actors: Hunger Games hottie Liam Hemsworth, his big bro’s Thor co-star Idris Elba, Jennifer Aniston‘s sweetie Justin Theroux, Captain America himself Chris Evans, country superstar Tim McGraw, The Good Wife‘s Josh Charles (he’ll always be Dan from Sports Night to us!), comedy crush Joel McHale, Game of Thrones warrior Jason Momoa, most-obvious-choice-in-the-world Ryan Gosling, even-sexier-with-age Alec Baldwin and so-delish-he-distracts-us-from-screaming American Horror Story star Dylan McDermott.
[Photo: ABC, Relativity Media]
We were wondering why we were hyperventilating just now, and now we know: People’s Sexiest Men are auctioning off hang-outs for charity! You say hang-outs, we say dates, boy! Charitybuzz.com is offering quality time with 17 of the planet’s sexiest to the highest bidder, so start counting those pennies before the auction closes December 15. People’s Sexiest Man Ryan Reynolds won’t himself be available for hangout, but his dangerously high levels of sexy would probably knock us unconscious anyway. Oh, and by the way, the sexy hang-outs available? They are INSANE. For example:
- “Workout with Wolverine! Join Hugh Jackman in the Gym as He Gets Ripped for His Next X-Men Film”
- “Meet Prince William at The Chakravarty Cup Polo Match”
- “Spend New Year’s Eve with Usher in Miami!”
- “Practice Swim Session & Lunch with Michael Phelps”
- “Have Your Voicemail Recorded by Ben Affleck”
And most importantly…
- “Meet Christopher Meloni on the Set of Law & Order: SVU!”
Swoon! Hats off to the sexies for donating their time to a good cause, and here’s hoping that our bank loan comes through in time! [Photo: People]