Red carpets this week were tainted by overzealous stylists who pushed celebrities toward some really bad choices. So who made this week’s Worst-Dressed list?
Back when NBC first announced its plans to air a live telecast of The Sound of Music, starring the charming but novice actress Carrie Underwood, there was a collective gasp in our office — except from me. I’m pretty sure that before tonight, I was the only person in the known universe who had never seen the Julie Andrews movie. So, while everyone else either avoided the show entirely or spent the evening begrudgingly comparing it to their childhood favorite, I took it upon myself to watch with unbiased eyes. And then proceeded to remember why it is that I never sat through the 1965 film in the first place. In case you’re deciding whether to cue up that DVR, here’s my take on the good, the bad and the snoozy of The Sound of Music Live:
It’s the harvest season, guys! This beautiful autumn weather brings vibrant veggies and glowing complexions to those who eat them. Lea Michele, Olivia Wilde, Carrie Underwood and Pamela Anderson are all self-proclaimed green goddesses who don’t sully their diets with turkey or steak. They’re vegetarians, and they’re proud of it. Whether motivated by sympathy for animals, health consciousness, or a need to fit into a catsuit, these ladies make us want to dig into a giant quinoa salad right now!
With new wardrobe restrictions put in place for the 2013 Grammys, music’s biggest stars had to find other ways to turn heads that didn’t include the words “see-through” or “fleshy under curves.” In addition to hot arm candy, the best accessory for the red carpet and beyond was all sparkly everything. Check out the the best in blinding Grammy Awards bling from last night’s show, below.
The Grammys are usually a night to dig deep into your wardrobe and bust out your very best for the cameras! Well, apparently some peeps didn’t get that part of the memo. While many A-listers strutted their stuff on the red carpet in their high fashion finery, there were folks who appeared to have lost a bet or something.
It wasn’t a groundbreaking red carpet at the 2012 American Country Awards — held last night at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Vegas — but it certainly was a colorful one. Kristin Chenoweth made sure she stood out in an electric blue Rafael Cennamo gown with Jimmy Choo heels. Her Martin Katz earrings matched the gown, as well. Natasha Bedingfield chose bright green, with a floor-length gown that has a long, key-hole neckline that showed off plenty of cleavage. Carmen Electra may have been wearing white, but with that intricate bodice and that perfectly placed slit in the skirt, could you have missed her?
Carrie Underwood picked a sparkling peach flapper style mini-dress by Georges Chakra Couture dress with complementary fringed gold heels by Brian Atwood. Lindell jewlery, and a Daniel Swarovski clutch also were a part of the ensemble. Miranda Lambert was eye-catching, but for all the wrong reasons, in an ill-fitting, not very flattering black and silver Reem Acra dress and boring Giuseppe Zanotti Design shoes. Jacob & Co. jewels and a Judith Leiber clutch finished the outfit. LeAnn Rimes wore a figure-hugging but sombre, black Dolce & Gabbana dress with super hot Tom Ford shoes and large clutch, a Lori Rodkin ring and Shylee Rose earrings. Read more…
Sexy, often scandalous, and forever sensational — throw in a thigh-high slit into your gown and you’re going to get completely eyeballed. The more daring the cut, the more looks it’s going to get, so you know that celebrities love this major red carpet trend. 2012 has been the year for thigh-baring gown slits as our stars went all out to show as much leg as possible. Most of your most beloved ladies and ours opted for the style, so we decided to pick the top 15 most incredible leggy gown moments and rank them. We’ll start with number 15 and work our way up to numero uno. Of course, all the photographs, numbered accordingly, are in the gallery below, so have a look and a read and tell us whether we got it right in the comments section.
15. Sophia Bush: The actress went all out and showed some slinky leg while wearing an orange David Meister Signature dress. She accessorized with Lorraine Schwartz jewelry, Christian Louboutin shoes, and a Daniel Swarovski clutch. If there’s any place to take the fashion plunge — or cut — it was definitely at the 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards after party at the Boom Boom Room in June in New York City.
14. Kristen Stewart: Kristen rocked it and rocked some leg in a gorgeous golden Elie Saab dress with Christian Louboutin shoes at the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 Germany Premiere at CineStar in November, 2012 in Berlin.
13. Jada Pinkett Smith: Jada Pinkett Smith showed just how toned her legs are in a bright orange Atelier Versace gown and Jimmy Choos at the Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted premiere during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May.
12. Carrie Underwood: Did we expect to see Ms. Carrie Underwood’s very shapely leg in her Abed Mahfouz couture chiffon gown at the 47th Annual Academy Of Country Music Awards in Vegas in April, 2012? Not at all, which is what made it even more awesome.
11. Beyonce: Beyonce isn’t just all about being bootylicious. She’s pretty darn leggy as well, as was proved by her gorgeous Stephane Rolland gown at the 2012 BET Awards held in July in L.A. this year!
10. Miranda Kerr: This supermodel has legs for miles, which is what brough her to the number 10 spot on our list. And her bronzed Collette Dinnigan gown showed them off to perfection at the 2012 AACTA Awards in Sydney in July.
8. Kim Kardashian: Kim Kardashian klassed it up at the 2012 amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS benefit during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May this year. But not too much, because her mustard Elie Saab gown had a daring double slit that showed off those legs!
7. Nicole Scherzinger: Why hello, Nicole’s leg. Please to meet you. The singer showed off her shapely stems in a Cengiz Abazoğlu dress with Giuseppe Zanotti heels at the U.K. premiere of Men in Black 3 at Odeon Leicester Square in May, 2012 in London.
6. Rihanna: Ri-Ri was all about the leg in her minimal Giorgio Armani custom gown at the Stella McCartney Special Presentation in London in February this year.
5. Nina Dobrev: Nina Dobrev sparkled and showed off major leg through a major slit in her electric Elie Saab gown and Jimmy Choos at the 2012 amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS benefit during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May this year. Read more…
My awesome colleague Halle Kiefer reported this past Friday that Carrie Underwood has been picked to play Maria von Trapp in a new NBC revival of The Sound Of Music. Halle was excited by the news, but she did acknowledge that there are purists out there who “might find Carrie too pop/country/tan/not Julie Andrews to step into Julie Andrews’ shoes.” That’s me. I’ve seen the film at least 20 times, I own commemorative plates, books, and the newly released 45th Anniversary Edition of the film on Blu-Ray and DVD (complete with karaoke singalong tracks and a keepsake music box!), I DVR’d the crap out of the cast reunion on Oprah and I nearly turned my honeymoon into a whirlwind tour of Salzburg so I could “Do Re Mi” up the steps of the Mirabell Gardens. So yeah, I’m a fan. And I’m not feeling Carrie Underwood.
It pains me to see anyone try to do justice to the role that, to me, IS Julie Andrews, and while I think Carrie has a killer voice, there’s something about her “type” that’s not sitting well with me. Yes, Halle, it’s partly the country/tan aspect, but I wish someone with maybe a little more, you know, acting experience, had been chosen. Broadway vet/Bunheads star Sutton Foster maybe? Rachel Weisz, who has some kind of hold on me when I think of cool, young maternal types? (But can she sing? I have no idea — even if she can, I bet she’s not a soprano.) Or yes, even Anne Hathaway, who co-starred in The Princess Diaries with Andrews and seems like a natural fit (THIS WOULD NOT BE MY FIRST CHOICE, I’M JUST SAYIN’ SHE’D BE BETTER THAN CARRIE). But seeing that I can’t change the casting of Maria, I’m at least going to put in my two cents about who else should join the film and make it tolerable since this is happening and there’s nothing else I can do about it.
NBC announced today that Carrie Underwood will play Maria in their live televised version of The Sound of Music, and so far the Internet’s response has been….mixed. To put it politely. But while some people might find Carrie too pop/country/tan/not Julie Andrews to step into Julie Andrews’ shoes, we know in our lederhosen -wearing hearts that Carrie can do this justice. Plus, seeing as how Anne Hathaway probably won’t be clearing her schedule and dyeing her hair blond any time soon (You went there too, right?), what other option to you have but to open your minds and hearts to our argument? Think about it…
We’ve been all over the 40th American Music Awards, held last night at the Nokia Theatre in L.A. Get to VH1 Tuner for all the coverage. Stick around here for a bit, if you’d like to know what went down there fashion wise, though. In a nutshell: great red carpet. No real missteps, except three people, as you’ll see in our next post, but with that many people at the event, that’s hardly a number to be worried about. We’re super excited about this best-dressed list, as these 10 ladies really brought their A-game. Taylor Swift leads the pack, ditching red lipstick again as she did at the MTV EMA’s last week. She wore a sexy Zuhair Murad Pre-Fall 2012 mini dress, with an open back and and gorgeous gold beading sewn in. Strappy Jimmy Choos and smoky eyes completed the sophisticated look. Nicki Minaj, floored us too, in a neon yellow Monique Lhuiller gown, very similar, but a lot cooler, than the one Julie Bowen wore to the Emmys this year. Wearing the same color, only hers was sunflower, was Kerry Washington in a midi length Stella McCartney Resort 2013 dress with fringe detailing, styled with coral pumps that matched her coral lips. Carrie Underwood is next, looking fabulous in her purple beaded Abed Mahfouz Fall 2012 gown with rose-gold Jacob & Co. chandelier earrings. Kelly Rowland and Stacy Keibler went the same route with applique mini dresses, only Rowland’s was a Naeem Khan Fall 2012 dress while Keibler’s was a College Dinnigan number with a lot more embellishment, worn with Jimmy Choos, a Judith Leiber clutch and Neil Lane jewelry.
Besties Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison both made it on the list too, which is unusual, because they never synchronize like that. Which is a polite way of saying one of them always makes a bad sartorial decision when they both show up at an event together. We’ve fallen head over heels for the vintage silhouette and styling of Goodwin’s icy pink Oscar de la Renta Resort 2013 cocktail dress with her silver Jimmy Choos and her mirrored Judith Leiber clutch. Jennifer picked a black draped gown by Abed Mahfouz, just like Carrie Underwood. Rounding up the carrel are Pink and Heidi Klum, who both picked metallics, but to very different ends. Pink wore a stunning bronze Catherine Deane gown with a flowing skirt, and a laser cut leather bodice that looked like amour! Heidi wore a gold guipure lace mini dress from the Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2012 Couture collection with matching Christian Louboutin pumps and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry. It was a lot of skin, but it’s Heidi’s skin so she can pull it off like a pro. Do you agree with our picks?
[Photos: Getty Images]