Everyone’s favorite Barbadian ambassador is bringing new levels of synergy to pop-music metaphors. Not since OutKast’s shameless promotion of Polaroid has an artist shilled so hard for a product that most people don’t spend much time thinking about. In this case, Rihanna has gone into business with Totes (think Isotoners) to create a line of umbrellas, inspired, of course, by her song “Umbrella.” Ranging in price from $15-$50, Rihanna’s line of rain gear comes with names like Satin Stick and Signature Slender: fun, even if the names are slightly reminscent of air freshener flavors. Kudos to Totes for spotting an opportunity to take advantage of the song of the summer. And accolades go to Rihanna, too, who told Paper magazine in a recent interview that she wanted to be “the black Madonna.” Since Madonna’s talents naturally run to business management, Rihanna’s fledgling mogul-hood shouldn’t come as a surprise.
- The 25 Craziest Bras In Music History | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- Girl-On-Girl Kisses In Pop Music: Sexy Or Just For Show? | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- The Most Suggestive Poses From Miley Cyrus' Bangerz Tour | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- New York’s Hardest: Who Are The Big Apple’s 20 Greatest Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Bands? | Music News
- 40 Greatest Hip Hop Songs of the '90s (COMPLETE LIST) | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music - Page 11