Everyone’s favorite Barbadian ambassador is bringing new levels of synergy to pop-music metaphors. Not since OutKast’s shameless promotion of Polaroid has an artist shilled so hard for a product that most people don’t spend much time thinking about. In this case, Rihanna has gone into business with Totes (think Isotoners) to create a line of umbrellas, inspired, of course, by her song “Umbrella.” Ranging in price from $15-$50, Rihanna’s line of rain gear comes with names like Satin Stick and Signature Slender: fun, even if the names are slightly reminscent of air freshener flavors. Kudos to Totes for spotting an opportunity to take advantage of the song of the summer. And accolades go to Rihanna, too, who told Paper magazine in a recent interview that she wanted to be “the black Madonna.” Since Madonna’s talents naturally run to business management, Rihanna’s fledgling mogul-hood shouldn’t come as a surprise.
- 12 Artists Who Died During A Performance | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- 15 Unlikely Metal Covers You Wouldn’t Expect To Rock (But Totally Do)! | Music News + Gossip | VH1 M
- The Stories Behind Numbers In Famous Band Names | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- Most Explosive Rock Love Triangles | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- 20 Monster Hit Songs That Were Written In Minutes | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music