Always good to know something about the host of a big show. In midtown Manhattan, on Thursday night,? rattled off a list of his fave discs to kick 07 Honors live. (Feel free to fill the comment section with what you think might be some of those discs, and know this in advance: he’s a Nas fan). Then the 30 Rock comedian busted some poetry, telling us that the music stretches from jazz to showmanship to the gangster lean itself. Then he hit the brakes. “Before we go any further I gotta tell you something about your boy. Me and hip-hop come outta the same womb, the Bronx. What that means is me and hip-hop is blood brothers, like KRS-One: “I am hip hop.” I’m Slick Rick’s first chain, I’m all of Afrika Bambaataa‘s records in his crates, and yes, yes, ya’ll, I’m the the hydraulics in Dre‘s Cadillac, I’m the Forbes’ richest rappers list, and the carboard box under the breakdancers’ heads, I’m every train on the 4 line. And I’m loving my butt-crack boxer shorts, saggy pants, eff the police attitude.”Boom. Street creativity, cultural weight, and commercial clout summarized nicely. See ya Monday night.
- The Musical Stylings Of Fred Armisen | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- A Tribute To Beyonce's Career-Long Shade Throwing | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- Drama Heats Up In Michael Jackson Paternity Case | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music
- Mick Mars Of Motley Crue Makes His That Metal Show Debut This Saturday! | Music News + Gossip | VH1
- 10 Things Learned In Justin Timberlake's VIP Section | Music News + Gossip | VH1 Music