“I never was much of a romantic,” sang Kanye West on “Runaway,” the centerpiece track on his epic 2010 album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Well nonsense, we say! You’re plenty romantic, Yeezy. And here are our favorite love-lorn lyrics from all through your career to prove it. Whether it was inspired by current flame Kim Kardashian, or past lady-friends like Amber Rose or Selita Ebanks, Kanye is a modern poet spinning rhymes that will melt any woman’s heart. Just today he dropped the track “Clique,” in which he raps about Kim’s career-launching sex-tape with Ray-J. And that’s just the start of his many romantic maneuvers in song. Check out the list below and see what we mean!
10. “If we die in each others’ arms/Still get laid in the afterlife”
– “Lost In The World” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
Romance Factor: Here Kanye takes a very practical (and sexy) look at the concept of eternity.
9. “I’m Yeezy, she said, ‘Hi, I’m Maria’/No, you an angel/You wave ‘Hi’ to Aaliyah”
-“Erase Me” on Kid Kudi’s Man On The Moon 2: The Legend Of Mr. Rager (2010)
Romance Factor: Yeezy once again plays on the more practical side of the afterlife, plus gets a sweet shout-out to the late R&B singer.
8. “Feeling like Katrina with no FEMA/Like Martin with no Gina”
-“Flashing Lights” on Graduation (2007)
Romance Factor: It’s not good enough to compare missing your ladylove to a natural disaster/government SNAFU. You have to following it up with a simile referencing the 90s sitcom Martin to really tug at the heartstrings.
7. “Take your diamonds and throw ‘em up like you’re bulimic”
-“Diamonds From Sierra Leone” on Late Registration (2005)
Romance Factor: With one line, Kanye shows that he knows how to treat his woman right, and at the same time so very very wrong.
6. “I’ma grab your waist then, I’ma grab your face and/Then I’ma taste it, then I’ma blaze it”
-“Blazin” on Nicki Minaj’s Pink Friday (2010)
Romance Factor: We’ve spent all day trying to figure out what it means to blaze a face. Something tells us that we don’t want to know.
5. “You know what, yo?/You a b-tch/You should have a travel agent cuz you a trip/You should make your own toilet tissue since you the sh-t”
-“Deuces (Remix)” on Chris Brown’s F.A.M.E. (2011)
Romance Factor: This line was reportedly written about his ex Amber Rose. Ouch.
4. “Perfect B-tch” (The title alone is enough)
– On Kanye’s upcoming album Cruel Summer
Romance Factor: Self explanatory
3. “Ima disrobe you/Ima probe you”
-“E.T. (Remix)” on Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream (2010)
Romance Factor: “Probe” is never a good word to use in any setting, but it’s especially fatal in a romantic context.
2. “I sent this b-tch a picture of my d-ck”
-“Runaway” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
Romance Factor: How thoughtful!
1. “Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh/ I put the p—y in a sarcophagus/ Now she claiming that I bruised her esophagus/ Head of the class and she just want a swallowship.”
-“Monster” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
Romance Factor: …Wow. We could spend all day unpacking this one. We’ll let you do it on your own.
[Photo: Getty Images]