From first crush to crushing heart break and anything or everything in between, Taylor Swift has left no love story untold. She’s kept awake in “Enchanted,” and deflated and defeated in “White Horse.” She’s dated guys with record collections full of records cooler than hers, and dumped for girls with vintage dresses instead of dignity. And she’s put it all into song. No matter what you’re feeling, she’s got a song for you.
1. The Fairy Tale Romance: Taylor loves herself a good fairytale. Sometimes these songs end with a dreamy “happily ever after” (“Mary’s Song”); but other times they end with a tragic “But but but we’re meant to be” plea (“Love Story”). Pick your poison.
Lyric To Live By: “Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone, I’ll be waiting all there’s left to do is run/ You’ll be the prince and I’ll be the princess/ It’s a love story baby just say yes,” from “Love Story”
See also: “Mary’s Song (Oh My My My),” “Fearless,” “Mine,” “The Story Of Us,” “Sad Beautiful Tragic,” “Begin Again”
2. Love At First Sight: Taylor falls hard and fast, and knows full well that sometimes the happiest relationships are the ones that exist fully in her own. For example, she met Adam Young of Owl City at a party and wrote the blissful “Enchanted” for him afterwards.
Lyric To Live By: “I will spend forever wondering if you knew/ I was enchanted to meet you,” “Enchanted”
See also: “Superstar,” “Starlight,” “Sparks Fly”
3. He Doesn’t Love You Like You Love Him: Sometimes it’s just another girl that he loves, and Taylor gets that most of the time. And the rest of the time? She’s daydreaming about wedding crashing
Lyrics To Live By: “I know you by heart and you don’t even know where I start,” in “Come In With The Rain”
See also: “Teardrops on My Guitar,” “Speak Now”
4. The Honeymoon Phase: When it’s good for Taylor it is magic and empowerment, kisses in the rain and spinning around so good. Here’s to the good days.
Lyric To Live By: “They gave us our trophies, and we held them up for our town
And the cynics were outraged, singing this is absurd
For a moment a band of thieves in ripped up jeans got to rule the world,” from “Long Live”
See also: “Hey Stephen,” ”Our Song,” “Long Live,” ”Stay Stay Stay”
5. The Bad Boy You Can’t Quit: Taylor is forthright about her habit of loving boys she know are no good. Trouble can be fun, too.
Lyric To Live By: no lyric can so perfectly encapsulate this as the “wub wub” of the bass drop in “I Knew You Were Trouble”
See also: “Haunted”
6. It Was Nice While It Lasted: Taylor often talks admits to loving the thrill of a zero-to-60 mph then crash sort of relationship, and that’s perhaps in part because she’s so good at describing the bliss of what was post-split.
Lyric to Live By: “I never saw you coming, and I’ll never be the same,” from “State of Grace”
See also: “Tim McGraw,” ”State of Grace,” “Red,” “Holy Ground”
7. How Could You Have?: Taylor doesn’t get played, she gets back. She spins scorn into fiery revenge songs perfect for spiting a wrong-doing ex.
Lyric To Live By: “I’m shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town,” from “Dear John”
See Also: “Dear John,” “Picture To Burn” “Should’ve Said No”
8. He’s In Love With Someone Else: And she’s probably less smart, pretty and funny than you. What should you do? Bedroom dance party for one, of course. He’ll come around.
Lyric To Live By: “She’s going off about something that you said, because she doesn’t get your humor like I do,” from “You Belong With Me”
See Also: “You Belong With Me,” “Better Than Revenge,”
9. So Over It: Better off without him! You don’t have to call anymore, I won’t pick up the phone, this is the last straw, don’t want to hurt anymore.
Lyrics To Live By: “Like, ever.”
See Also: “You’re Not Sorry,” “22”
10. It’s Not You It’s Me: It breaks her heart to do so, but sometimes Taylor is the one who’s doing the heartbreaking.
Lyric To Live By: “Because the last time you saw me/ Is still burned in the back of your mind/ You gave me roses and I left them there to die,” from “Back To December”
See Also: “Back To December”
11. Platonic: Love songs for the rest of them — moms, babies, friends, life in general – because even the lovelorn Taylor knows that there is more to life than just romance.
Lyrics To Live By: “We’re happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time,” “22″
See Also: “The Best Day,” “Never Grow Up,”