As Times Square gets ready for the influx of hundreds of thousands of revelers here to celebrate the arrival of 2013 Anno Domini, the Korean sensation PSY is plotting to retire his massive YouTube hit, “Gangnam Style.” “Being in Times Square on New Year’s Eve is already special — it’s the biggest stage in the universe — plus it’s my birthday, so, with all that, it may be the ending of ‘Gangnam Style,’” PSY told our friends over at MTV News. “I mean, what better way to do it?”
We couldn’t agree more! As much as we loved “Gangnam Style” when we first saw it appear on YouTube, we have no reservations whatsoever about retiring the song in 2013 because, let’s face it, the song is #PLAYEDOUT. In that spirit, here’s our list of other songs from 2012 that we hope to hear tonight and will always recall fondly, but honestly hope to never hear again once the sun rises tomorrow morning.
12 SONGS FROM 2012 THAT WE HOPE WE NEVER HEAR IN 2013
12. The Lumineers, “Ho Hey” – After thousands of listens, “Ho! Hey!” is starting to turn into “No! Way!”
11. Neon Trees, “Everybody Talks” – It started with a whisper, but when we hear this song on the radio now, it makes us wanna shout “CHANGE THE CHANNEL!”
10. One Direction, “Little Things” – We can’t remember a more passive-aggressive song ever getting this much airplay. #cringeworthy
9. Ellie Goulding, “Lights” – It’s about time to turn out the lights on this song, which we have been unable to escape since its release way back in February of 2010.
8. Justin Bieber, “Boyfriend” – If we were your boyfriend, we’d buy you some new material to listen to.
7. Taylor Swift, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” – RED was one of VH1′s Best Albums of 2012, but when we hear this song now, it makes us want to swiftly hit skip on our iPods.
6. Maroon 5, “Payphone” – Here’s a quarter, Adam Levine; can you use it to call the local DJ and have them play something else?
5. Pitbull, “Don’t Stop The Party” – Put this song on after tonight and we guarantee the party will come to a very immediate stop.
4. Flo Rida, “Whistle” – If Flo should ask you to blow his whistle in 2013, alert the metaphor authorities immediately.
3. Nicki Minaj, “Starships” – HOT 97 DJ Peter Rosenberg delivered the eulogy for this song back in May.
2. Carly Rae Jepsen, “Call Me Maybe” – Carly starts off the song by singing “I threw a wish in the well”; Can we do the same to all the remaining copies of this song still in stores?
1. Psy, “Gangnam Style” – Oppa Gangnam Style? More like NOPE-AH from here on out!